Guppy breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyl1234

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought both of these. When my female is near labor which should I put her in? And when should I remove the mom?

image-1400979988.jpg

image-749734619.jpg

I bought both of these. When my female is near labor which should I put her in? And when should I remove the mom?

I'd use the first. That's the one I have. Take the female out when she's done giving birth

I'd use the first. That's the one I have. Take the female out when she's done giving birth

What age should I move the babies to the breeder net? I have four pregnant guppies. I bought 2 of the breeder nets..

What age should I move the babies to the breeder net? I have four pregnant guppies. I bought 2 of the breeder nets..

I put the female in the breeder, let her have the fry, put her back in the main tank, and move the fry pretty much immediately... You could wait if there aren't too many, or if you still have to get the tank ready for them. It kind of depends

I put the female in the breeder, let her have the fry, put her back in the main tank, and move the fry pretty much immediately... You could wait if there aren't too many, or if you still have to get the tank ready for them. It kind of depends

I have 4 females in a 10 gallon

I have 4 females in a 10 gallon

That's fine. But you'd want to move the fry to a different tank. unless there are lots of hiding places, the adults will eat them. And even then, some will probably get eaten

Yeah use the first one for birthing and then put them in the net, in the main tank. I always leave my female in the trap for 24hrs and let her recover. Feed her well afterwards because they usually don't eat for a few days before the birth. I give her some bloodworm's as a treat. Get some Hikari First Bites for the fry....

Congrats on having fry:), with the net be careful not to have it against the wall of your tank. Leave about a cm gap if at all possible in case any other fish get stuck like mine has in past few days.

Congrats on having fry:), with the net be careful not to have it against the wall of your tank. Leave about a cm gap if at all possible in case any other fish get stuck like mine has in past few days.
That's a very good piece of advice...

That's fine. But you'd want to move the fry to a different tank. unless there are lots of hiding places, the adults will eat them. And even then, some will probably get eaten

I have a 20 gallon that I will be moving the females too . There is a couple male guppies with Cory cats.

I have a 20 gallon that I will be moving the females too . There is a couple male guppies with Cory cats.

How long will it take before I can move the guppy fry to the 20 gallon? So they want get ate

How long will it take before I can move the guppy fry to the 20 gallon? So they want get ate

I would wait unripe they are about 1.5 cm long. That way they can't get eaten or sucked up the filter. Do u have any agressive fish or males in the tank?

I would wait unripe they are about 1.5 cm long. That way they can't get eaten or sucked up the filter. Do u have any agressive fish or males in the tank?

+1 just as long as they are too big to fit in the other fish's mouths, they can't get eaten. ;)

20 gallon = couple male guppies and Cory's. 10 gallon = 4 pregnant females and ghost shrimp

When should I put

image-3856733502.jpg

image-3646020883.jpg

image-2377223706.jpg

this female into the breeding container?

I have four pregnant females. One of them had 2 while I was gone but that was two days ago. All of them still have a very dark gravid spot. And all have big bellies. I think it was due to the pressure change when we had a storm. But I am wondering when it will have the rest......

I have four pregnant females. One of them had 2 while I was gone but that was two days ago. All of them still have a very dark gravid spot. And all have big bellies. I think it was due to the pressure change when we had a storm. But I am wondering when it will have the rest......

I would put her in now. Today my pregnant swordail gave birth and she wasn't squared off so yea. You can never be too sure

I agree. Put her in but do a 50 water change or a fairly large one, if you can. This can sometimes trigger them.....

I hate to say it but most guppy pros dont use those things. They stress out the female too much. The best way to get fry is to have plants in the tank. Thats all. Its not complicated. Just add water and guppys will breed. Fry are big enough at one week to not be eaten. The reasom we seperate fry is to grow them out. Then seperate m/f at one month old and grow them to 3'-4 months then put color you want into main tank and sell off extras

Back
Top Bottom