guppy breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JayCobb84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i know breeding guppys isnt exactly difficult or anything but i really need a fail proof method for determining when they are about to give birth. i have two females who i think are pregnant, they are fairly larger than the others. i have heard that their gravid spot gets darker when pregnant and their stomach get squared off because the birth canal drops. these things could be going on they do look a little different to me but i just cant tell is there another method for telling. i would like to try to keep a fair amount of the offspring this time. in the past i have only been able to keep maybe 5 or less of the new borns alive, for the other fish eating them. this time i have a nice private tank just for them set up but i dont know when to put them in. please help.

thanks i still wish she would just tell me im about to have kids but of course if she was smart enough to do that she probably wouldnt eat them

Our first batch got eaten as well... never even got to see a single one... with the second one I was so paranoid that I put her for 10 days into the breeder trap at night till she finally dropped them.

Guess the next time I won't even get active till she gets 'square' under the gravid spot.
We'll see :)

There isn't any sure fire way to know exactly when they will deliver their fry, but from my personal experience, this is what I've noticed.

1. When they get close, they will hide a lot and will come out only during feedings.

2. Their gravid spot will get darker (black) depending on color of your guppy and will move closer to their opening.

3. I find that my guppies would look larger on one side then the other.

Othere then that, make sure their are lots of plants and hiding places for them. You might be surprised that they will hide in the gravel and will come out during feedings. HTH - Good luck!

thanks guys i cant wait to see what happens the ones i could save from the previous batches are jsut now getting color and they are stunning, so many reds and blues they are like swimming jewels, and to think they were all just feeders.

Back
Top Bottom