guppy breeding ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bear78

Aquarium Advice Regular
need help w/ideas for a tank (cheap) to breed guppies in. was thinking of a large clear plasitic container w/ sponge filter and couple of airstones. but im unsure if this is a good idea? i have a very hungry turtle. i just dont want to breed to many. im gonna try not to get overwhelmed w/guppies. :lol: any ideas or advise w/be greatly appreciated.

I think a 10-gal and a heater, plus the sponge filter would be just fine. You could even put some floating plants and set it near a window and let the sun grow some nice algae for the fry.

10gals are somewhere around $9-10 at PetsMart. Get yourself 2 males and 5-6 females to start.

im lookin at getting a Lustar Hydro Sponge II Filter from aquarium guys. gonna get a 10 gal from walmart. i already bought 2 guppies from lfs one male and one female i have some female feeder guppies already. i have 4 of them and some swordtails all in the same tank for now. my only concern until i get the breeder tank setup is that i have a hob filter for my main tank that all the fish r in. is there anything that i can put over the filter intake to try and save some fry? and what temp is ideal for breeding?

Footies, Panty hose footies work but you have to clean them constantly. Also it would help to put the female, once pregnant, into a breeder net, which would also cut down the amount that are aten if it has plants at the top. The ones at walmart already have plastic plants, and an easy set up that you can respectivly raise the fry in. They cost about four bucks. Not bad and worth the trouble i think.

is there anything panty hose are not good for? well im not 2 worried about fry being eatin unless i dont have enough to sustain my turtle, plus i dont want to be swiming in guppies. i feel bad enough having to feed them to my kids turtle but such is the nature of life. i know all to well about the fake plants. i originally setup the turtles tank w/plenty of cover for him to hunt. well lets just say that he didnt like it and rearranged it to his liking (every plant is floatin at the top of the tank) crazy thing is the guppies that r in his tank wont use the surface cover they swim down below w/the turtle. ive got a few extra plants plus i have one of those fake water lilies upside down i could use, but ill probly buy some more just to be safe.

Should be around 78. Too cool and breeding will suffer, just going by how Endler's livebearers are, which are very similar.

Back
Top Bottom