Guppy breeding journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is going to be a long term journal for my attempts to breed a fancy guppy using feeders.

A few months ago I bought a pack of wild type feeder guppies for bredding from my LFS. This LFS is the only place I could ever find that would have them and this is the type of LFS that doesn't even take care of their display tanks. Needless to say, they were in horrible condition and out of 30 I lost nearly all of them during the course of treatments and managing the various problems they had. In the end I had 5 left and only 1 of them was female, however one of the males I liked the most survived.

With that in mind, I was worried that the remaining female would have been sterilized through my rounds of antibiotics and copper so I waited to start this journal.

However, the male and female successfully had babies today so I am finally starting my journal.

My main goal is to breed a sword tail guppy with yet to be determined colors.

More clear pictures will come as soon as I have access to a better camera, but here is the chosen male.

MW3NrOV.jpg

My friend has a 10g and started with three guppies (2 females, 1 male). For a year they have exploded in population. She probably has 50 guppies in there. May 25 of them are fry. She wasn't even trying to breed them. It just happened! XD

Sent using Messenger Pigeon

My friend has a 10g and started with three guppies (2 females, 1 male). For a year they have exploded in population. She probably has 50 guppies in there. May 25 of them are fry. She wasn't even trying to breed them. It just happened! XD

Sent using Messenger Pigeon

I am going to be keeping up to 6 breeding females at a time. Hopefully I will have way way way more than just 50 guppies :D

So how many actual tanks will you have going at once for this project? Will you trade culls back to the pet store. I'm curious because I'm thinking of starting my own guppy project with 2 trios.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So how many actual tanks will you have going at once for this project? Will you trade culls back to the pet store. I'm curious because I'm thinking of starting my own guppy project with 2 trios.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, here are my initial plans so far to keep my strain. This will likely change as more room becomes available and things get moving along more quickly

2 - 10g tanks divided in half - One for breeding and the other as an initial grow out tank

2 - 10g tanks - Each one as a stepped up grow out tank from the divided 10. They will stay in these until I can sex them.

1 - 55g Divided into 4 parts - This is where I will keep my sexed guppies for them to grow out before choosing for the next generation. I might increase this to 2 55g tanks divided in half, I haven't decided yet.

I am going to be using glass to divide the tanks, but in the 55g I will be adding in plastic canvas at the bottom so I can change the water of the entire tank by doing a single water change.

My LFS will take my extras as feeders so all my extra guppies can go there.

Sounds good! I wish I had the space to do something like this!

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom