Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you stay really REALLY still and act very patient, and wait for awhile, the fish will slow down and act calmer (only if you stay perfectly still, the farther form the tank, the more elbow room to move slightly) and then just take lots of pics and pick out the better ones to post (that's actually how the professionals do it, except with 6000$ cameras)

Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is my 10g with my two breeder nets along with my "guppy pond"

I have a tank with in my pond it is a breeder tank for some red guppies( I don't have a another heater So I put the tank in the pond to keep it warm) I will be getting another heater soon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120308_175224.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	81312   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120308_175314.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	81313  

Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha, that's so fun looking! I wish I had a neat thing like that! ^^
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will say sand is better for ponds. Gravel takes forever to clean. I will be taking some of the gravel out of this "pond" It is only about 25gs but I still call it a pond

Question for everyone
Why is algae bad for tanks? doesnt it give the fish something to eat?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

The fish dont eat algae unless that fish is some breed of plecostamous (bad spelling, sorry!) otherwise the algae sucks nutrients out of the water and covers light from the glass and suffocates any other plant. That's my interpretation.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im pretty sure guppies eat some algae I know fry do they nibble on it

Anyone else know?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have guppies (2 preggo females and 1 male) and they dont eat the algae, I usually have to clean I out, I don't know about the babies though (never had guppy fry, that part is a new expirence to me)
Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

From guppyplace.tripod.com....

Greens

Guppies need their greens.
Algae: An excellent food source and left to grow on certain ornaments or one side of the tank, the fish can nibble on it between meals. It is a source of vitamins B, C, D and E.
Spirulina: A natural micro-algae that is easily digested and rich in proteins, fatty acids, vitamins A and B, as well as iron and calcium. These help guppies have healthier fins and helps them resist skin infections. It also contains carotenoid pigments that will bring out the best colour in guppies. Available in flake and frozen forms. There is now available an item called P.D.P. which is "Pre-Digested Plankton, a patented (Hagen) bio-processed natural pigment."
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh hey that's pretty cool! But my guppies never ate algae before, I wonder why? Maybe I just cleaned it up too quickly...? I just checked my preggo female...I CAN SEE THE BABIES EYES!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried to get a pic to show you, so here's the better ones, which there are only three almost clear ones out of the 34 pics I took (and yes, I counted them), and I also edited them and made close ups of the pics for 'clarity' which really means blurrier but you can see it a little better! ^^

Pic#1:

Attachment 81330

Attachment 81329

Attachment 81331

Pic#2:

Attachment 81334

Attachment 81332

Attachment 81333

Pic#3:

Attachment 81337

Attachment 81335

Attachment 81336

I just thought I share this amazing moment with you guys, and I hope you enjoyed my pics! I think the second one shows the babies eyes the best though ^^
Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
From guppyplace.tripod.com....

Greens

Guppies need their greens.
Algae: An excellent food source and left to grow on certain ornaments or one side of the tank, the fish can nibble on it between meals. It is a source of vitamins B, C, D and E.
Spirulina: A natural micro-algae that is easily digested and rich in proteins, fatty acids, vitamins A and B, as well as iron and calcium. These help guppies have healthier fins and helps them resist skin infections. It also contains carotenoid pigments that will bring out the best colour in guppies. Available in flake and frozen forms. There is now available an item called P.D.P. which is "Pre-Digested Plankton, a patented (Hagen) bio-processed natural pigment."

Thanks for letting me know. I thought I had read somewhere guppies like it.

Update new heater coming in the mail will be here next Mon-Fri I will starting a new Grow out tank after a month I will put all Males in this tank I havent made up my mind if it will be a 20g rubber tube or a 50g plastic barrel Dont know yet. I will be drawing up some plans tomorrow and I will post pics of what i come up with.

I have a new Question does anyone know how to make a cheap DIY overflow box?

Tags
breed, breeding, guppy, log

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com