Guppy Breeding Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you know, all I have in the tank that are interested in eating baby fish are bein tetras and guppies. I guess that makes things safe ^^

If your male guppies tail has been nipped is there anyway for it to grow all the way back?

This is a direct copy past of what I just told someone else about fin repair:

I know a good way to fix that! Get StressCoat+, because in small doses it acts as a dechlorinater and slime replacer, and in higher doses it acts as a fin and scale repair medication, and when you use it the slime relaxes the fish, and it has aloe in it! ^^

Best switch of dechlorinater I ever did in my entire life, and it's really good for the fish, kinda like vitamins for people ^^

Hey everyone, Update time, so I was sitting back on my laptop in front of my tanks and I saw one of my guppies all by her self and whenever someone would come around she would swim off. So then I looked closely at her and today her stomach has doubled in size and she is starting to look squared off.

I just got her about a week ago so I don't know when she would be do to have a drop. I am leaving her in tank. I don't know if this is her first drop or not so I am going to do the lest stressful way. So tomorrow I'll be looking all over the tank.

Does anyone know if black tails are dominant or recessive?

Black is dominant if I remember correctly but with guppy genetics everything is a little back to front because of the huge amount of variation. I am not an expert or a scientist so I am in no way qualified to give you perfect advice but...

Take this for example: your black tailed female MAY have black dominant and say blue recessive, if she breeds with a male with full blue, then the babies will have black gene and blue gene, black gene in 25% and blue gene in 75%. This way you will get some baby mixes of blue and blue(fully blue) blue and black (black body with blue tail, blue in body with darker tail etc) and even black and black (black body black tail). If however your female is black only (no recessive) and was from fully black parents (also with no recessive genes) and so is your male then chances are you would get black babies, but it is still not guaranteed!

Basically, I have had a black female throw out lime green babies and orange tailed males in the same batch. The only way to guarantee black babies is to selectively breed 'pedigrees', if you like, over generations.

Alright do you know if red is dominant? And also I would love to see the lime green guppy do you have any pics?

Update I was looking at her this morning and she doesnt look as squared off as she did last night but her gravid spot is still very very dark and I do not see any new fry in my take.

Artist said:
Alright do you know if red is dominant? And also I would love to see the lime green guppy do you have any pics?

Update I was looking at her this morning and she doesnt look as squared off as she did last night but her gravid spot is still very very dark and I do not see any new fry in my take.

I think her belly can get bigger with feeding. Mine seems to drop and get bigger, but no fry appear.

My guppy does that too, she squares off a little after I feed her, so today I'm going to feed her at fifteen minute intervals untill she won't eat anymore and see what happens, because she might have the babies of she's had enough food (and food=full=extra energy=won't eat babies=higher amount of babies born=me happy)

Yeah, if we both tried it it could be like a science experiment! I'm using freeze dried blood worms because of the high protein level that it has, this will be fun! ^^

Also, a good way of finding the possibilities of genes is to use that guys box, but since you don't know the history of the genes then that gets a little hard. The box:

——————————
l l l
l l l
l l l

How to use it(capital letters are dominant traits and lower case letters are recessive traits):

___A________a_____
l l l
l AB l aB lB
l l l
——————————
l l l
l Ab l ab lb
l l l

So let's say that this is what they mean:
A=black
a=blue
B=red
b=yellow
(I'm pretty sure that these are accurate to guppies)

Then:
25%=black and red
25%=All red
25%=all black
25%=blue and yellow

And that's the main way of doing it! Feel free to ask me questions! ^^ (this stuff actually works!)

Went to petco today and I saw some crazy Mollies they were 5 inches long.

I tried to take a pic but the ladie started yelling at me. It made me sad because in the same tank they had koi and some feeder goldfish. The feeders where covered in ick. This was also there plant tank..... Petco can be good for somethings but for others not so much.

I don't buy live fish from my petsmart or petco anymore unless I'm putting them into a tank with the right meds (but the meds cost alot of money and that makes fish keeping hard for me because that's where alot I my money goes)

I wasn't buying any fish I was just looking at prices and food and stuff like that

I still go there for plants and supplies, they have good prices ^^ I'm hoping to stop by there right after shipment for some female bristlenose plecos, I'm hoping that they won't've been in the bad water for too long! :|

This is a list dates for guppy fry

week one: Double in size
Week two: Black color begins to show
Week 3-6: Sexing can begin
Week 4-8: Colors start showing

Add to this list

Back
Top Bottom