Guppy Breeding Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Artist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, I will be updating this a lot.

To start out with I had 2 females 2 males. Then a local Fish lover offered me a deal I couldnt say no too. I now have 13females 5males.

Both of the 2 Females were pregnant when I got them and about ready to pop. With in a week one of them had 20+ fry. And just today the other one had 20+. I have 20+ week and half and 20+ hour old fry. I will be keeping this log to tell about how many I keep, color, M:F ratio, water temp all that stuff.5

To start with I have my tanks at 75-78 F

I am not breeding for show yet I am doing it to have fun and learn ( I will be breeding guppies that you could probably put in some shows but not 1st place winners)

I will be posting pics as I take them (Along with DIYS on things I put in my Tanks)

This is photos

The plastic tube thing is to keep water changing in my diy breeder net

This is my female that just had a drop 11 days ago with 20+ fry

I just love the purple blue color of her tail I am hoping some of the fry have her color

Does anyone know genetics for guppies?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120307_181041.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120307_181041.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 298
  • ForumRunner_20120307_181113.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120307_181113.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 279
  • ForumRunner_20120307_181217.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120307_181217.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 293
one of my female looks like yours. around 1/4 of her fry look like her. my guess is some of your females fry will look like hers which is good if you like how it looks :)

I'm not good with guppy genetics but have been breeding them for almost two years now. I have noticed u get a lot of the parents colors for majority of the babies, some get 'throwback' colors and others are totally new colors. Mixtures of your parents are even common. I had a leapord print come out in one of my lots an have never owned a leapord print. Others just got the leapord on the top fin.
Hope this helps and I'll be following u too. Keeping the breeding nets cycled well are my biggest job for them. Your idea could help me make this process a lot more simple. Thnx :)

Any chance u can inbox me the basic idea of that breeding net plz?

lol gotta love new colors! my black moscow breed with one of my females (i dont know what type, half sky blue and half pitch black) and a few yellow orange blue and black fry came out :)

I have 2 tanks that are heated one is a 25g tub that is my "guppy pond" it has females and some males in its. This tank is also a plant grow tank.
Then I have one 10g breeder tank this has my fry in it along with 4 females and one male. I will be starting a 20 or 50g grow out tub later when I have the time.

I will be culling the fry by selling them to my LFS (inless they have something wrong with them)

Hey I would like to know what you think - use breeder box or dont at all?

What do you think of this?

The other guppies have a bad habit of following the pregnant one as she gives birth and eating the fry as they pop out. Their own mum will even do it. I usually lose at least 5 fry due to the mother eating them during the birthing.
I've included a pic of an excellent pregnancy container to let them give birth in. It has a separater to allow the babies to escape to safety. I also add a tiny fake plant to give them a better chance. was about $10 at LFS

Attachments

• image-4293493126.jpg
    image-4293493126.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 177
  • image-95334128.jpg
    image-95334128.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 170
  • image-3535910989.jpg
    image-3535910989.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 153
I mean do you move the female or just let her drop in the tank?

You can do as u please really. I've left them in the tank alone, with others, in breeding nets, their own water, néw water, ive even been desperate and put them in a coffee cup just for while they have the fry then take straight back out. (6 mums popped on the same day)
They are the hardiest fish I've ever had. They survive all conditions, even cold water. (I have some I caught from a cold water channel)

Long of short. If u separate the mum from the others, high survival rate for the fry. Leave them with the others and u will probably lose most, if not all of your fry.

I have a plan to use a DIY tank divider, made out of knitting plastic mesh (that white grated stuff) and a pair of pantyhose ^^ that way I can have the female on one side and let her give birth, and then take her out when she's done, and the babies can be fed along with the adults ^^

What do you guys think I should name my purple tailed female? (open to all names)

Would like for the name to have something to do with what she looks like so it would be easy in my records

Lavender, Lilac, Maroon...Iris, Clover, Grape...Shequeria(light), Nina, Jolette, Chu(kiss), Kiki, Yuuki(snow), Ai(name of hell girl), Aisue(ice), Mutasaki(purple). I have more! The ones with parenthesis are Japanese words and their translations. My personal favorite is yuuki, pronounced you•ki, but the 'ki' sounds almost like 'keh' and it's just so cute! ^^

Haha alright thanks. Those are some great names lets see what some others can come up with.

I also have a yellow body female with sky blue tail. And a female that has a blacked out tail and another that her tail looks like a zebra

Blacked out tail I like to call MIB (men in black)

Does anyone have any tips for getting good photos of fish? Like how to keep them from moving and messing up your photo?

Back
Top Bottom