Guppy Breeding Questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennybo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:smilecolros:

I have a fancy tail male guppy. I've had him for about 2 years now and he is great. My daughter just recently got a female guppy, not sure what type of guppy she is. She is opal/pearl colored body and has a yellow and reddish tail. She was tiny when we first got her and now she is bigger than my platy's. She has the dark gravid spot on her ab's but it seems to always be there. Is it possible for her to breed with the fancy tail guppy even though he is about 1/2 her size and I don't think they are the same kind of guppy?

I plan on getting a bunch more guppies as soon as my new tank arrives by fed ex. But I will have to wait for the cycling as well. I would love to start breeding them but how do you decide what kind to get and where to get them from?

Please help with my guppy issues!

If you have a male and a female guppy, they're almost guaranteed to breed. All guppies are the same species, just different color morphs. My remaining adult female is three times the size of my males and she's dropped three broods since Christmas.

If you're really serious about breeding show-quality guppies, you'll need to buy good breeding stock from an auction or a breeder. If you just want to give fish breeding a shot, buy what you like when you see them. If you're after a certain color, don't mix your color morphs. If you do, the babies will end up looking like wild guppies or Endlers.

also you might want to consider 2 different tanks, one for breeding and one to put the ready to drop female in to give birth to avoid the babies being eaten. it really is simple i breed fancy guppies to feed my piranhas. i would just be breeding rosy reds or something but the girlfriend likes how fancy guppies look so i got a tank full of em and they breed like crazy, they are live bearers tho so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the help! I do have a little 3g tank that I was using for the babies from my platy's but they seem to do better in the tank with mama and daddy fish! They never bother the babies. I still keep the tank just incase. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT COULD HAPPEN!

:smilecolros:

put in a few more females you will have a tank full in no time thay just keep breeding breeding breeding my tank runith over took 65 to lps to trade towards other fish

Just purchased a blue guppy male and a female that is simular. They are beautiful. The male is now trying to impregnate :kiss: every guppy and platy in my tank! What a little horn dog! LOL! What is the time frame of the guppy pregnancy? 28 days give or take? Just trying to figure out when to remove the female guppies from the tank and into a hatchery.

LOL yes I have a little feeder guppy male in my tank with the fancies and I call him Casanova, for obvious reasons. I would not be surprised if all my fry end up looking just like him.

Back
Top Bottom