Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Guppy Breeding Situation

Hello everyone! My name is Violet and I have been wanting to breed guppies for about a year now, but I am still stuck on where to start. I know I want to begin with one male and two or three females. As of right now, I have a single 10 gallon but I was wondering how many tanks I will need and what to do with all the babies until they are old enough to sell, as I have heard that guppies reproduce quite rapidly. I also was wondering what steps I can take to control the population so that it doesn't get out of hand. I am concerned about inbreeding as well.This is something I am taking very seriously and I want to provide the best possible care that I can for them to ensure that they are all healthy and happy. Thank you for your help!

Old 02-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would get something bigger than a 10 gallon for the breeding fish and keep any babies you find in the 10 gallon to prevent them from being eaten by the parents.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you’re planning on breeding guppies, I would suggest buying a nice trio of a strain that will sell well. You don’t want to end up with a bunch of babies that no one will buy, so look online and find a strain that’ll sell and that you enjoy. The investment is worth it.
As for preventing inbreeding, I’d try to separate the male and female babies as soon as you can tell their gender. You can add new genes to the population every couple generations by purchasing new guppies that are unrelated to your existing stock. Hope this helps!

Tags
breed, breeding, guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com