Guppy Breeding Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyWater2525

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

Starting soon, I was planning on breeding guppies. I had a few ideas of what I needed but wanted a few tips and advice. Here are my plans:

3- 2.5 gallon tanks (each with filter and heater)
1- 29 gallon (filter and heater also)
3- 5 gallon

I plan to keep 1 male and 2 females in each 2.5g. When they breed, I will move the babies into a certain 5 gallon depending on their parents. When they become old enough to eat crushed flakes, I will move all the babies to the 29 gallon until the are given away or sold. Does this sound like a good plan? Any advice?

What should I keep in each tank? I was thinking live Java Fern and a bubbler in each 2.5g. Maybe a moss carpet. When the babies are born, I will move the parents to a temporary jar until I'm pretty sure that I've gotten all the babies. Then, they will be moved back.
The 29g I plan to keep lightly planted with only the guppies in it.
I'm also planning to keep the 5 gallons bare.

Does this sound ok? Any tips/advice? Is there anything specific I need for the survival of the babies?
Thanks in advance!!!!!:thanks:

I don't think 2.5 gallons is enough for the adults. Put the fry in there, and leave the bigger tanks for the adults. What are you planning on doing with all the guppy fry once you get them?

Ok!!
I plan to sell them on a couple websites maybe. I have a few friends who would take some and maybe the pet store would take some too....:ermm: I haven't really worked out where I would send them, though I've really thought about it..... Any suggestions?

FishyWater2525,

Read my entire reply before becoming discouraged.

I have breed a lot of guppys, hundreds of thousands to be exact. First, as stated above the 2.5 gals are too small. Even if you can maintain the adults they would surely eat all fry. Next, a 5 gal is too small to raise fry without stunting and huge water stability issues. If you are raising one moderate size batch of fry then a 29gal works.

How to solve your problems??? First, place all the adult females in the 29gal. If they are different color varieties just house the males elsewhere. Once a female is hit-breed- by the male she can have several batches of fry from him.

Now invest in a 3'-4' Rubber Made Tote container. Set it up just like a tank, only fill it half way.

Now, get a very small pasta colander that can be wedged into a 5gal tank so there is an inch or two of water in it. Once you have a female that is squared off and ready to drop, place her in the colander. When you see fry, remover her back to the 29gal.

Maintain your fry in the 5gal for 6-8 days feeding live baby brine shrimp, micro worms or other live foods. If you don't have access to live food P.M. me and I'll direct you where to get it or a substitute. Using a piece of airline, siphon 50% of the water every 2 days. Once the fry are large enough, 6-8 days, move them to the tote and continue feeding live food 1-2 daily after feeding flake food. A guppy fry can only eat enough to keep it full 30-40 min. That is why feeding crushed flake then live helps stretch the process out. Do a 25%-30% water change on the tote every 2-3 days.

If you are really serious about producing a number of fish, I'd suggest getting at least one more tote. To get the best brood stock do the following:
-Once the fry are 4-weeks old net them and place them in a 5gal. Pull out all the males. By the 5-6 week pull out anything that could be a male. After 6-8 weeks move the small number of remaining females to the 29gal to mature. If you do this and they do not get hit by a male prior to the move to the 29gal the females will grow 2-2 1/2 times as large as their mothers and produce huge batches of fry - 30-50 each drop. It only takes maybe 4-6 females and you can produce a ton of fish.

Last, set all your tanks and totes up with nothing more that water, sponge filter and heater if the room is too cold. You can add java moss, but it will get in the way and cause a problem during water changes. The good news is if you siphon out the java moss you can always get it back out of the siphon bucket. At some point once you sell some fish, hit the Petco $1 per gallon sale and pick up two 20Ls for $40.

Best of luck and P.M. me if you have questions.

Back
Top Bottom