guppy fries releasing..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

still

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how long will it take aguppy mom to release acomplete patch of fries?
it has been about 3hours now and she just released 4fries!
should i take her back to the main tank? am keeping the fries in asmall
5gallon tank now..

thanks.

No, they usually have 25-30 at a time. Can be as much as 12 hours as I have experienced with mine.

Wow! How do you count all of them?? Nice work still. Try to take some pics of the birth and fry!!! Always nice to see.
Hope your succesfull in raising as much as you can! :D

WOW!!!! 31 should be pretty close to done. Her stomach should be back to normal almost. Keep us posted...

Congrats! Depending on how old your momma is and how many batches she has had so far, it could possibly take up to 2 days before she will drop her whole batch.

You better get your nursery up now, because in another 28-30 days, you will be getting more fry. Good luck!

shes agreat mom iguess as its 36 till now and still.. !
icrushed some flakes and soaked em down the bottom of the tank ,thats from along ago.. now no one is paying attention to it,, y? shouldnt they eat now?

ididnt get u FawnN in the nursery thing, excuse me.. what do u mean?
thanks all..

I've heard the crushed flake food is good right before lights out. You might also want to try baby brine shrimp - make sure it's not the adult brine shrimp!

I'm sorry. Let me clarify. Livebearers such as your guppy are able to store sperm and have fry every 28-30 days without being near a male.

From my experience, they can have up to 3-4 different batches before they need to mate again.

BTW, a neat trick to get the food to your fry is, get a turkey baster and squeeze the fry food (crushed flakes or first bites) down to where they are. Congrats on the fry! It's neat to see them grow and develop. :D

thanks all for that much help..
iguess its over now,, ive 37 fries inhere.. about 3 or 4 ones hadnt survive of being eaten
by her..
ill put the mother back afterawhile , the fries are in that 5gal. tank , sure itsnt cycled
as ididnt realize to get that num. of em ofcourse!, so all ican do is to put a small sponge
from an already cycled tank to them,, iguess that would help with the cycling process,,
but about the water changes? how often?,
sure ill ve to get em abigger tank when they growup alittle,
but for now should ido anything else?
thanks alot!

I would concentrate on making sure the ammonia level is not present at all, because fry are very sensitive to changing water conditions.

To insure they grow properly, I would make sure they get fed at least 3 times a day and be sure to change your water often. I normally change my 10 gallon fry tank at least 3 times a week and remove about 10% to 15% each time. Because you are feeding often and the food is quite tiny, your tank will collect a lot of food on the bottom and foul up your water pretty quickly. Vacumme your gravel at least once a week too.

Good luck!

I would actually recommend you DO NOT vaccum your gravel as this will stall the the cycling process. The less you feed, the better the cycling goes. If I were you, I would just feed once a day with crushed flake food or BBS if you have some. You can almost have it instantly cycled if you add the sponge plus some of the gravel from the cycled tank. This will help tremendously.

I would have to disagree Mofo. Even when you are cycling with fish (not fry), you should do weekly gravel vacumming.

But right now, I personally think Still should concentrate on the fry and not the cycling. It's too difficult to keep the fry alive and cycle at the same time. Besides, you should never try to cycle a tank with fry.

Feeding fry once a day is not enough. It will take them too long to grow with just one feeding. Fry need to be fed at least 3 times daily to insure they grow properly and that's why you need to change your water often and vacumme as well.

actually theres no gravel in this fry small tank,, so no need to gravel ijust get rid of any uneaten food in the bottom during the daily water changes.
and from what iread about guppy fry iguess it better to feed 3times aday and mayb more , ithink ive red some threads inhere about some guys feeding 'em 6times aday!
so 3 or 4 would be ok,,
iwould put apunch of crushed coral from the other tank to this small one, iguess that would better help the whole process..

BTW, ifound about 5 fry playing in the main tank after returning the mom back to it :)
itook em back to the breeding tank for sure,
Guppy is abreeding machine!! :lol:

thanks so much guys for ur help..

ill take some pics mayb today and post 'em of course!
thanks again..

Back
Top Bottom