guppy fry.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do Lfs like Petsmart buy guppies? Shoot, idk what Im gonna do with all these babies now that they arent goin to Turkles... hmmmmmmm maybe a craigslist add, but how do you find a responsible pet owner on craigslist? How much do they sell for?

Do Lfs like Petsmart buy guppies? Shoot, idk what Im gonna do with all these babies now that they arent goin to Turkles... hmmmmmmm maybe a craigslist add, but how do you find a responsible pet owner on craigslist? How much do they sell for?

I've been wondering that myself. I'll probably use craigslist and hope for the best.

Candi1990 said:
I completely understand that... The turtle does have to eat. Your post sounded so concerned for the fry I thought you cared more about their well being... It didn't sound like you was raising food. Isnt it easier or cheaper to buy feeder fish?

Raising your own feeders is safer for the animal you are feeding them to. Store bought feeders often carry disease/parasites and require a quarantine period which takes time and effort. Just because they are being raised as feeders doesn't mean they can't have a good live (as short as it is) and be treated humanly.

OP:
Honestly there are millions, probably billions, of guppies in the trade. If your not going to feed them your best bet would be to just give them away.

I raise guppies to feed my crayfish..... I believe in having a pretty breeding tank though. So the easiest way for me to feed my cray is to pick the uglier fish and they go him. Only the beautiful survive!

And you can indeed find great homes through CL, you just have to work harder.

Mumma.of.two said:
Raising your own feeders is safer for the animal you are feeding them to. Store bought feeders often carry disease/parasites and require a quarantine period which takes time and effort. Just because they are being raised as feeders doesn't mean they can't have a good live (as short as it is) and be treated humanly.

OP:
Honestly there are millions, probably billions, of guppies in the trade. If your not going to feed them your best bet would be to just give them away.

You can't treat them "humanly" and them feed them to something. I told her I understood... And I am not here to argue this at all. My point to her was she was speaking of them like they were pets, not feeders.

But you contradicted yourself... I don't have to. I know they are raised and fed... But again I made my point to her and she helped me understand hers more. Not here to argue this.

As long as I'm not a vegetarian, I won't say that it's not okay to raise animals for food. :) It's perfectly fine....I'm just not sure that I could be the one to do the dirty work. I'm only commenting again because I've actually thought about this concept a lot.

Candi1990 said:
You can't treat them "humanly" and them feed them to something. I told her I understood... And I am not here to argue this at all. My point to her was she was speaking of them like they were pets, not feeders.

But you contradicted yourself... I don't have to. I know they are raised and fed... But again I made my point to her and she helped me understand hers more. Not here to argue this.

I'm not here to argue either. I was just pointing out that feeders are still 'pets' in the sense that they should be treated like any other pet. Having clean water, good food and adequate space to swim. What makes them any different to any other fish? The fact they are being fed to another animal? I personally don't see any problem feeding fish to other fish/animals at all. It's nature.

I'm sorry for the hijack and I'm sorry if I offended.

Did anyone every think she could feed off the ones with bent spines and stuff like that? I feed off my bent spines to my goldfish- I also feed him pond snails( he/she loves them, I put them in the tank and he has eaten the snails before they hit the bottom) (Guppies on craigslist go for around $1)

If you have a hard time culling the guppies. I would raise adult brine shrimp- They are salt water but they can live for I believe 4-6 hours in fresh (tons of time for your turtle) I am adding a link that I have found that could help you.

Raising Adult Brine Shrimp - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom