Guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
My guppy fry are starting to color up only 2 are showing more color than the rest the have a black circle on their tail fin and yellow around it and black on all the tips of there fins.

The males usually are the ones that color up first. Though it may be awhile before they turn into males , that is usually what happens to the ones who color up first. But this isnt always true, i have some females that colored up first and stayed female there whole lives

What do you mean stay females all there lives do you mean they can change tere sex

Well all livebearers are born female, and some turn into males. If you have a tank of females the dominant one will often turn into a male to continue the flow of babies

Kinda, the more dominant females when born color up first and become males, in the case of an all female tank the dominant or most aggressive one will sometimes become a male.

I read somewhere in a fish book about swordtails that if a male dies a female then grows a small sword and takes on the males roll! :s

Samzter said:
I read somewhere in a fish book about swordtails that if a male dies a female then grows a small sword and takes on the males roll! :s

Years ago I had a tank with 5-6 female green swordtails and what you described actually happened. I thought is was pretty unusual since they were adult fish.

Sex changes happen in all livebearers. I have 5 platys one of them was male and the rest were female. The male died from ich and one of the females changed into a male. It happens when they are fry too, they all are born female and some arise as males and color up more than he females.

Back
Top Bottom