guppy fry advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terri06

Aquarium Advice Activist
lookin for some advice ive got in excess of 40 guppy fry and ive got a tiny tank thats set up would it be ok to put them in there without a heater if i topp it up daily with warm water my room temperature is 26 degrees anyway

you dont want to top it up daily with warm water... consistency is what you want. If you don't have a place to put them, leave them in the tank with the others.

Basically either buy a heater mate or buy lots of bushy plants for your main tank...some may surrive...some may make a tasty treat!

Hello terri06

Without having the details involved in your guppy fry as to if they are a true breeding strain that you bought (knowing this is a major factor) or if they are from local petshops where you probably wont get fry that look like the adults (depending on genetics of female and male) and if they are related there could be several answers to this question.

How is your room heated is one.. if electrically heated the temperature would fail with a power failure as well as any heater that you put in the aquarium

If it is gas heated or other means you may find that room temperature may be too low for the fry tank (check with thermometer)

I would go with the idea of getting a heater for the aquarium with a sponge filter for the fry tanks as it is generally what professional breeders would do (Do this especially if they are true breeding strains)

Otherwise you can follow the good advise of DanDamage92 and get floating plants for the fry to hide in generally but not all the times guppy fry can escape parents but if you have any other fish that could be predators of the young I would definately put them in another aquarium ...

i ended up leaving my fry in the main tank and there all thrivin but i now have a few more babies thanks to another female of mine and ive also got baby mollies in there aswell

The adults will stop eating as many babies as they do once the tank gets full, especially if they have a place to hang out when they are tiny.

i ended up leaving my fry in the main tank and there all thrivin but i now have a few more babies thanks to another female of mine and ive also got baby mollies in there aswell

This is a little bit of a concern. Mollies and Guppies are of two different species but belong to the same Genus.

What will happen may be THIS!

If you are familiar with Donkeys and Horses when crossed you get what is known as a hybrid known as a Mule.

Now what do you think may happen with mature guppies and mollies that are old enough to breed. Yes in about a month guppies can be sexually active the other name for guppies is millions fish ... to give you an idea!

Guppies do well at normal room temps of around 21 or even a little less. i don't heat any of my livebearer tanks and they are kept in the basement. Temps run from around 18C to 23C.

im well aware that there may be a bit of croos breedin at some point as its a community tank i didnt intend on breeding i bought the fish for my son as hes very active and the fish seem to calm him down

just checked on my fish as i do at night time and ive noticed that one of my heavily pregnant female guppies is giving birth to wat looks like half developed fry why is this happening????????

lolxD
guppies sucks dude...
I once setup guppies with my shark
one the fry come out all the fishes died leaving only guppies..
Guppies killed my all fishes

Back
Top Bottom