Guppy Fry Age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inno

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few weeks ago I saw no more than 2 guppy fry about 2mm long and orange looking. Then the mother passed and they vanished and I thought they were eaten. Then yesterday I found one about 5mm long and discovered 10 more behind some plants. Is it possible that they were hiding the whole time, and would they get darker with age? I have a huge prego guppy in my tank who could be the mother of these, but today she is just as big with a very dark gravid spot still so I think she has not givin birth yet.

If their around the same size as the 5mm then yes they were there the whole time. I found with my guppies the give birth to a whole heap but are still a little bit fat after birth it's pretty hard to determine who is the mother until their about a month old the will start showing signs of color. Then you can see witch one they all look like. Assuming that all the mothers look different. Female guppies can stay pregnant and have up to 5 or 6 batches of babies with just one contact with a male. They save and store sperm. So if all your females look the same you won't really know.

It is hard for me to believe they survived because I did a complete clean on my tank, cleaning gravel and rearranging everything. I did not see anything then. I wish I knew if they were from that batch or not.

They are much bigger and darker tho...

It's ok I did a clean out an didnt notice anything until after lol then I watched one of the dry for a while and noticed it like swims into tiny cracks between the substrate. Then about 30 seconds later it popped up Half way across the tank. I was like wtf lol so yeah they are very good at hiding

It's ok I did a clean out an didnt notice anything until after lol then I watched one of the dry for a while and noticed it like swims into tiny cracks between the substrate. Then about 30 seconds later it popped up Half way across the tank. I was like wtf lol so yeah they are very good at hiding

Yup, it is pretty crazy. It trips me out thinking she only had 2 and now there are at least 10 that have surfaced. They seem way to fast to be eaten by anything in the tank. My frog darts at them but they vanish haha.

Haha yeah there fast. Also in some cases it takes the female 2 days to fully give birth to all fry so maybe she gave birth after you cleaned the tank

That's suck when that happens. Pretty much you have to wait and see what they look like to tell

Back
Top Bottom