guppy fry help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medrano7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i have guppy fry that are almost a month old nd one of my guppies seems very close to giving birth. Will the 1 month old fry kill the newborn fry if i put them in the same tank?

Not likely, but it does depend how much it has grown. In my experience one month old fry will be about half an inch roughly and shouldn't be able to eat them and definitely won't bully them. A rule of thumb is as long as they don't fit in the bigger fishes mouths then they won't be eaten!

I have 5 week old guppy fry and just put in 2 day old guppy fry with them and they have done just fine

I have added newborn fry in with my 1 wk, 2 wk, 3 wk old fry and been just fine... HOWEVER the other day I added newborn fry in with my 6 wk fry who are already 1" and they treated them like a special feast--- great big fishie "pack attack". They swarmed and the couple fry I added in there were almost instantly killed and the 6 wk olds were swimming around with the babies sideways in their mouths. I was absolutely shocked!! So, it looks like 1-4 wk old fry are good with newborns...
Big mistake I"ll never make again.

Back
Top Bottom