guppy fry in a clear plastic bucket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my female guppies started giving birth today. I thought I would let nature take it's course and have her birth in the tank and I would transfer any fry that I managed to see into the clear breeder box. Well, I saw one fry floating about and put him into the breeder box when one of the mollies came underneath the box and......sucked him right out of the bottom of the box!!!

Well, I managed to net the female after a lot of work and put her into one of those clear, acrylic, "critter" boxes. I put in tank water, a handful of gravel, and some floating plants. She gave birth to only six fry in there, so I guess the other are in the tank (alive or digesting?). Right now there are just the fry in the critter box.

Will the fry be alright in the critter box? I can always change the water in the box when I change the water in the tank. They are just too small to keep in the tank, even in the breeder box. Once they are a bit larger I'll let them fend for themselves in the tank. I'm not over partial to having more guppies, but they have zero change right now with the mollies and rams.

Yes the fry will be fine in the box. Is it a breeder box for aquarium use? There will need to be slits or slots to allow air nd water movement.

I just bought myself one of those hang-in-the-tank net breeders. Now the little fry can't be sucked through.

Take that, bigger fish! Eat your tetra flakes and leave the young uns' alone. :)

So far the net breeder is working well. The plastic one I had might be better for larger fry.

Back
Top Bottom