Guppy Fry Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin Petro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got guppy fry that are about 13 weeks old. I'd like to control the breeding of these cheeky little ones but how/when will I be able to tell the males from the females? Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to AA!

About 3 months usually. At least that is when I am able to tell usually. Sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less.

Depending on the strain, the sexes can be separated as early as one week, but definitely by 4 weeks. The females will have the small dark area on the abdomen (gravid spot), and the males will not. By three months, they could be breeding, so I wouldn't wait that long if you absolutely do not want more babies.

Assuming you have at least three tanks (or two, one with a divider), the best thing is to separate the ones that are obviously males or females, and then just hold off on the "maybes." Keep in mind that it is better to have one or two females in with all the males, then to have even one male in with all the females. :)

Robin Petro said:
I've got guppy fry that are about 13 weeks old. I'd like to control the breeding of these cheeky little ones but how/when will I be able to tell the males from the females? Thanks for the advice!

You should be able to tell the females from the males at 3 weeks of age when the gonopodium forms. I have been able to tell m/f on some of my strains at the day after the drop (by color). Most within a week.

Kilgore said:
Depending on the strain, the sexes can be separated as early as one week, but definitely by 4 weeks. The females will have the small dark area on the abdomen (gravid spot), and the males will not. By three months, they could be breeding, so I wouldn't wait that long if you absolutely do not want more babies.

Assuming you have at least three tanks (or two, one with a divider), the best thing is to separate the ones that are obviously males or females, and then just hold off on the "maybes." Keep in mind that it is better to have one or two females in with all the males, then to have even one male in with all the females. :)

"By three months, they could be breeding"....

by three WEEKS they most likely will be pregnant. Then all the protein that you feed the female will be going towards developing fry instead of growth.

"it is better to have one or two females in with all the males, then to have even one male in with all the females."....

No truer words have ever been spoken in guppy breeding.

The gravid spots are indicators of pregnancy. While that would certainly also indicate sex, it would mean you were too late in identifying the sex.

Back
Top Bottom