guppy fry still havent got any colour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annnie

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi everyone,

I have around 25 guppy fry that are 10 weeks old and non of them have any colour. Some of them have black on them and most have nothing. I read that they start getting there colour at 4-5 weeks. is it strange that they still havent got there colours?

if it helps there mother was black and yellow.. no idea on the male.

thanks,
annie

Could be that you have all females. I had a batch once that was mostly females, and 2 males. What are you feeding them?

even if they were all females they'd still get colour? or do females develop slower than males? i'm feeding them crushed up flake food and diced bloodworms.

thanks for the reply!

They should have color by now, what did the mom look like or dad? sounds like you have some wild types aka feeders to some just due to coloration, frankly I got over 1k guppies and each one is nice looking in their own right.

Its taken me almost 5 months to get a full color female. Most mine now are silver
(platinum bodies) with either half black or bloodfin blonde in them. Some of mine arent but going to be 3 weeks old and are in full color.

When I was breeding my Tequila Sunrise guppies I could tell males from females after about a month. They were only half inch big at the time. The males would turn yellow after about a month and then I would separate them by sex. The other guppies I bred (not sure of the name) were harder to tell but after a month I could tell males from females by their tails.

Good point on being feeders, it is possible you have some and they will just be plainly colored. Either way I think you will be able to sex them in a few weeks.

thanks whitedevil and meegosh.. i think there feeder guppies aswell. But not too sure.. i rescued them from dying in a vase from a housemate and was hoping to give them away or take to a shop when they got there colours (claim my tank back :p). I'm not sure what the male looked like but the female was yellow with black spots. Even if they were feeder's, would they have colourings like there mother by now?
thanks again

edit:
ops sorry whitedevil, i must have missed the bit were you said its taken 5 months for your females. Thanks but i hope they dont take that long haha

i actually ended up with an albino feeder guppy, he's bigger and better looking than the rest of the fish...but, i'm beginning to hate my guppies, ive got over 200 in a 55, and its getting really irritating.

5 months of drops close to 8 months of breeding a specific pair.

Dont feel bad LBC, I got over 700 fry in a 40g tank, I am adopting 3 angels, two babies 1 juve to grow out in that tank to cut my numbers down, I sold over 100 last week and still have that many, ac50/i30 and ac20 on the tank, water quality is perfect.

The new once I had last weekend are already getting color in the tails and pectoral fins.

Back
Top Bottom