Guppy Gender Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a male and 2 female guppies. One is pregnant. I know all the 'procedures' and she's due soon. How do I tell the gender? I drew a sketch of my male and female (I didn't color in the female) and I wanted to know if that's the difference between male and female guppies (mostly the fin arrangement) of if I'll have to sit there and search for the males *ahem* you know what I'm talking about here. (and I don't want to be reported)

The first one:

View attachment 79965

I edited to show what the female looks like in the evening (because the gravid spot was invisible in the morning, and more recently it's been only red in the morning):

View attachment 79966

She's close to popping! I'm hoping to just put a divider and plenty of plants in there to reduce stress and make plenty of hiding places! ^^

Males have a gonopodium, an altered anal fin. It is kind of rolled up instead of fanned out like the female's is. You won't be able to tell the sex of the fry. Until they are maybe a month or so old, maybe longer. They all start off with fanned out anal fins. The males will also be more colorful by this point. Until they mature some they will all be grayish with fanned out anal fins.

i was told to tell the difference the male are more colorful and have the fancy tails and female are more plain looking and have a rounder stomach

Their reproductive organs are different.. Males have a rod shape and females just have a fin like a fan.. Easy to tell :p

Alyxx said:
Males have a gonopodium, an altered anal fin. It is kind of rolled up instead of fanned out like the female's is. You won't be able to tell the sex of the fry. Until they are maybe a month or so old, maybe longer. They all start off with fanned out anal fins. The males will also be more colorful by this point. Until they mature some they will all be grayish with fanned out anal fins.

I will say that Alyxx hit it right on the nose. My fry are a month old and already showing a little color.

I tried to get some pictures of the three batches of fry I have right now. The oldest are colored up and showing the different fins and have been for a while. The younger ones are mostly still grey. Little buggers were too quick though!

Do my drawings accurately show the difference between male and female fins?

Here some of mine kinda hard to see. I have 1 month old and 1 week old. Just kinda gray blobs right now. :p

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120301_083400.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120301_083400.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 71
  • ForumRunner_20120301_083509.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120301_083509.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 59
When they are young fry it will be very difficult to tell te difference. I thought I had all girls until one decided he was a boy!

I thought I had all girls too, but three out of maybe 7 or 8 are males. All colored up really pretty too. My oldest are maybe an inch long now.

Well yes I know it takes awhile to tell the gender, but are my drawn pictures accurate to the differences between males and females?

You can google guppy males, they have pretty good photos of what they look like.

I would post some of mine but they are worse then the fry.lol
You can kinda see it better in the platies

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120301_120136.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120301_120136.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 57
  • ForumRunner_20120301_120238.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120301_120238.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20120301_120538.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120301_120538.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20120301_120627.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120301_120627.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 57
I've got this gender thing down now, so...anyone here have any plant knowledge or can maybe redirect me to someone who does?

Back
Top Bottom