Guppy Gravid Spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DolphinMan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! I am trying to breed one of my female guppies, and yesterday and today she has been showing a clear-ish, pink-ish, gravid spot. Does that mean that has eggs in her? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could be! But doesn't have to!
Almost every female livebearer has a gravid spot at birth. I'm mentioning deliberately "almost" for there are also livebearer where the female doesn't show a gravid spot. It's very individual if that gravid spot is clear to watch or not.

When a pregnancy starts and the belly will grow; the skin where the gravid spot is located will become a bit darker and bigger for the skin overthere stretches along. But when a female isn't pregnant but she's a good eater the same darkening of the gravid spot will occur.

So, I would stick to my first line overhere at this moment... It doesn't help you much but it's the correct answer. I do hope that she's pregnant if you like to have her getting offspring...

Thank you for the information! A few days ago she had a dark-ish spot but has not been big in any way. I introduced her to the males on Saturday. I hope she is in her early pregnancy days!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom