Guppy having fry!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
My guppy is having fry, she's in a breeder box but fry keep swimming back up through the griddle and mumma fish is eating them... Only managed to save 3 so far when they swim back up and putting them in breeder net :-(

Any ideas on what to do to try and keep the fry in the bottom compartment of the breeder box? I have another guppy due to drop very soon

take mummy guppy out ? then dont worry about her eating them.

Try putting a few pebbles on the bottom then grind up some fry food and let it sink 2 the bottom near the rocks so they will b more encline

Try putting a few pebbles on the bottom then grind up some fry food and let it sink 2 the bottom near the rocks so they will b more encline

Thanks ill try doing that, only managed to save 3 fry from the first guppy, hopefully I can save more from the second.
When do I start feeding the fry and how offen?... When they're in their own net.

I haven't had much luck with those breeder things either, I just purchased a cheap 2.5 gal tank and use it as a nursery tank. It so much easier than the breeder boxes. And feed the fry 2 times a day around the same time each day.

I used to have those breeder things, but was terrible at guessing when mom would drop the fry.
What I have now is an area of my tank with a lot of Christmas moss growing, with a short plant growing nearby. I have a never ending supply of fry and I don't have to do a thing about it.
Hopefully this helps for the future. :)

I used to have those breeder things, but was terrible at guessing when mom would drop the fry.
What I have now is an area of my tank with a lot of Christmas moss growing, with a short plant growing nearby. I have a never ending supply of fry and I don't have to do a thing about it.
Hopefully this helps for the future. :)

Sounds good in practice but I have other fish in my community that would have a field day of fry food... If only I could give the other fish bacon and eggs to fill their bellies lol. Check my profile, I have listed my fish on there.
Thanks for the advice anyways :)

Somehow or other, my fry never had a shortage of food. No clue what they were eating but they grew to be healthy happy guppies. My guppies have gone through several generations at this point, all by themselves. It rocks. :)

I always feed big momma when she's giving birth, and mine always eat. Just tiny amounts she will eat every hour or few hours.

You can crush up your food with the back of a spoon and/or get Hikari First Bites. A little goes a long way. I think one of those flat toothpick heads would work so you don't get it all over your hands. I feed my fry tiny amounts several times a day.

Back
Top Bottom