Guppy Identifying/Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinyninjafishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I picked up these three guppies at the fish store the other week and would like to start breeding them. Now I know they are not a super fancy and expensive strain or any strain in particular, but I am going to try and see what I can do with them. Does anybody know what kind the male might be?

I really like the overall orange color and his long dorsal fin, so I hope to see those in the fry.

Just thought I would start this thread to see if anybody could help identify them, and to kind of go through my process and progress!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4669.JPG
    IMG_4669.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4670.JPG
    IMG_4670.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4671.JPG
    IMG_4671.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 105
Good luck with this! Though I don't know what strain he is, you picked out some gorgeous fish. Hope it goes well, keep us updated :)

Thank you!

Its currently the trio stocked in a 5.5 gallon with a bare bottom and java moss that will hopefully explode and fill up most of the tank!

With a bare bottom tank that has a decent amount of java moss, do you think I could potentially breed some RCS?

Not with guppies in there, they'll most likely eat them

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am currently beginning to see some algae growth (it appears to be brown). I am leaving the light on for 12 hours a day on a timer. Is this okay to let keep growing, or should I throw my baby albino pleco in the tank to take care of all of it?

I wouldn't use the pleco, tank is too tiny, even temporarily. I'd cut your light time down, unless you want the algae :/

Yeah my pleco isn't more than an 2 inches but makes sense. Algae isn't bad for the tank correct? I figure it will grow good bacteria for the fry to feed on?

Unless it's like hair algae or in the actual water column, it's mostly just unsightly, and can be good for fry and your water levels lol

1. Just to clarify, it doesn't matter that the algae is brown?

2. I am 90% sure that I can see the fry's eyes in one of pregnant females so I am super excited and can't wait for her to pop!

If it's brown algae it's most likely diatoms which won't hurt your tank. They should go away on their own eventually

Sounds good! I think I am going to decrease the timer for the light by an hour and see if that makes a difference as well. Might also put a couple snails in there for the time being!

I just put two Nerites in! (Probably would've gotten a different type of snail had I known they couldn't breed in fresh water) One keeps climbing up and onto the lid of the tank. Any ideas what's up with that? My pregnant female is also starting to look super boxey!

I woke up to 9 baby guppies this morning! Not a huge batch, but definitely excited and I am pretty sure my other female is going to pop soon as well! Got the hikari fry food some im going to start feeding them 3 times a day and see how that goes!

My nerites occasionally climb out of the water. As long as they aren't all doing that (sign of bad water quality), don't worry, they're just exploring or eating organic matter above the water line.
Congrats on your fry!

Yeah it's just the one haha. Thanks! I'm hoping my other female doesn't eat all of them before she gives birth and I can put her in the big tank!

Been doing two 20% water changes a week so the water quality is pretty good! Yeah

Okay, my still pregnant female is starting to swim very frantically/sporadically around the tank. She doesn't usually do this, any thoughts?

That male sort of looks like it could be of the chilli endler strain, correct me if im wrong though

Back
Top Bottom