Guppy in labor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarosee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My guppy looks like she is going to give birth and I'm worried because she isnt very active. Sometimes she looks like shes dead.

Also a clear substance is coming out of her rear in a string.

When you say she looks dead is she still 'swimming/floating' and moving her fins? Or do you mean she is laying down on ground not moving!? If the latter it's likely she is ill.

Could you post pics, and as for labor symptoms they usually seclude(hide) themselves, dont eat, and become square shape--> \__/

I can't post any pictures because I'm only using my phone but I have her in the breeding box and the clear substance has tripled in size

She has been laying on the bottom and coming up to swim about every 2 minutes

yeah i agree with cichildlife i have been breeding guppies for ages now and i have never came across this problem but it sounds like the same thing i had with my balloon molly and it was cause she was in some sort of stress during the pregnancy and was releasing like little eggs on a white string as you can say but after i put her in a seperate tank with no lights she ended up given birth to a lot of little fry a few days later. if the black spot on the far end of the guppies stomach is more clearer and body more square then they usually are pregnant and they hang around the heater or filter hope this helps

no it doesnt have red spots. Only a big black one on her rear.

the black spot by here rear is called the gravid spot, its the babies that are growing in her. If she is ready to drop she will have/show some of the symptoms listed above.... good luck, post pics if you can.

Back
Top Bottom