guppy male & female platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zarmalar

Aquarium Advice Freak
So.. my guppy is heavily flirting with my platy.... Can they cross breed? Is that even possible?

I have no personal experience, but I did do a bit of research into it (I love hybrid fish). It is possible. Some of them cross more readily and have healthier fry. Others are not as great. And apparently some combinations create infertile fry. But, you can find someone on the internet that has bred any combination (guppy, platy, molly, swordtail, endler).

Oh geez... That's why I got female platies. I admitt they are cute together but I don't want more babies! Lol my danios keep breeding, I already have a batch of platies as one female was prego when I bought her. Now I just noticed my flaming Tetras are flirting too. My tank must be like super sexy or something.

I have no personal experience, but I did do a bit of research into it (I love hybrid fish). It is possible. Some of them cross more readily and have healthier fry. Others are not as great. And apparently some combinations create infertile fry. But, you can find someone on the internet that has bred any combination (guppy, platy, molly, swordtail, endler).

If you have evidence of a platy x guppy or a platy x molly hybrid it would be great to share it.

I've seen some evidence of guppy x molly hybrids, and even that seems to be a rare event, but nothing suggesting that the poecilia and xiph. species can interbreed. (I'm sure its possible in a lab, as most things are, but that's not something that happens in home aquaria)

As far as endlers go, they are basically the same species as guppies so it's not really considered hybridization between the two since they are so closely related.

Well the two of them def seem like a pair, he just keeps following her. It's quite cute.

Back
Top Bottom