Guppy males, birthing mamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SandyCheeks

Aquarium Advice Freak
Being a newbie I thought some tough little guppies would be a good way to start, that they would be able to handle my goof-ups. So I got a 20 gal tank and cycled it. Then we got 5 guppies (I thought they were all males, my bad) 2 apple snails and 2 ghost shrimp. After 6 weeks we now have added 7 juveniles and 13 newborns to the family.

The first batch Of babies came in the middle of the night, from the bigger female. Last week I noticed another female was pregnant so I got a birthing box that floats inside. When I saw a fry in the tank yesterday, I plopped the pregnant mama in it. She hated it! Poor thing was stressed. But I left her in there overnight, thinking she might have more at night but no new babies come morning. I put her back in the main tank and she started birthing again. And then the 2 males would hound her and poke her hard where the babies come out. Ouch! Is that normal? I felt bad for her, but did not know what to do. She would have a baby tail coming out and the boys would not leave her alone. I know it's just nature but goodness. :(

Ok then cut a divider out of plastic and separated the males. ALL of them freaked out. They all wanted to get to the other side! One male sqeezed in between the glass and plastic, the large female started chasing the small one, and the pregnant female got sucked over the top (the surprised look on her face was priceless, I had to laugh.) Removed the dumb divider and just left her. She had 13 more babies that I found. I caught them and plopped them in the box.

What do you find is the best way for the mamas to give birth?

The best way of allowing guppies to give birth depends on your goals. In a tank of that size, if well planted or with a few hiding places, you could just leave the females alone and let them give birth naturally. As you can see, at least some of the fry will survive. You might have been trying too hard with the breeder box and divider experiment. If you try to save every baby fish that may pop out, you would be spending a lot of time chasing, isolating and generally upsetting everyone. Just leave them alone would be my advice. You may find that you end up with so many guppies that you wish there was something in the tank big enough to eat a few.:ermm:

Feed the mommas lightly if they eat then feed a tiny bit more, they might eat less babies, males want to eat too so I fed mine and think after the situation I ended up with more babies when the fish weren't hungry/eating babies. Every hour as she is pumping out babies I would feed the mommas if I know they were birthing. The mommas seem happy for the food/energy!

Having lots of little plants floating at the top really helps too, and /or moss.

It seems awful to let nature take its course. But in the due course of time you will have lots of babies.

I traded almost all of my guppies had maybe 10, and 6 were males in another different tank, then 3-4 months later had 145 guppies. Fortunately I have a friend who likes guppies, but honestly it is usually hard to get rid of them!!!

The mommas store fertilized eggs maybe 6 months ahead of giving birth. The reason I know this is due to the mommas having a snakeskin Cobra male for only a couple months before he passed away and that was last early summer, and just in December did I see babies with the Cobra Snakeskin parentage! SIX MONTHS later, WOW! I would have never thought 6 months!

You guys are right - I was trying too hard. Was a good learning experience but got enough guppies now, so will let nature take it's course from now on.

Was Interesting and fun to see the birthings; I really enjoyed seeing the babies being born.

Had no idea the females could hold eggs for six mnths! Holy cow! Well there's still a chance of getting yellow fry from the male who died last month. He was a beautiful lemon color.

I had no idea it could be that long either. But I had that with the Cobra Snakeskin passing. He was the only one like that. So it only could have been him. I was bummed out not getting his babies, months ago and surprise!! Cobra babies. LOL Kept a couple, most went to a friend of mine when they were fry, before I realized they were from the Cobra daddy!

My guppy had frys last week and are.in the breeder box, when would it be safe to move them into ghe community tank?

ForumRunner_20130302_164149.jpg

I found three more frys in my tank and dont have a clue were they came from (maybe she still had a few when i put her back in the tank). Scooped them up and but them in the box and fed them. I have two more guppys that are pregro, think i am going to let nature take its course with them

My guppy had frys last week and are.in the breeder box, when would it be safe to move them into ghe community tank?

Mine grew really fast. The first batch I let out at 4 weeks; the second batch at 2 1/2 weeks old and they are doing fine. The biggest female is the only one who probably could eat them, but she's not interested. I think it's important to let them out since they don't get exercise in the breeder box. Oh, and give the adults a good feeding first.

But now I have too many, so will need to separate males/females. . .

Back
Top Bottom