Guppy mating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
My male guppy can't mate with any of my females because they just swim away
Should I separate them in a breeding trap for a few minutes so they can mate? I want fry from this male
I'd put in the female that matches the best with him

emerald76 said:
My male guppy can't mate with any of my females because they just swim away
Should I separate them in a breeding trap for a few minutes so they can mate? I want fry from this male
I'd put in the female that matches the best with him

just give them time, one of my females was like that too but now she's pregnant.

He's been in the tank for 2 months and no females are pregnant yet
I'd closely monitor them in the trap
Plus, there are eight females in with h and no other males
No one has gotten gravid
I need these fry to trade for new lights and a filter

This is odd. Don't worry about the females swimming off, it takes only a second of him rubbing or flicking against her to impregnate her. If he is truly male then only explanation is he is infertile. Do you have a pic of him?

Other thing is, where did u get your females from? Most females you buy are already impregnated which would lead me to believe they may be gravid but just not show it much and the babies are getting eaten.

Aron said:
This is odd. Don't worry about the females swimming off, it takes only a second of him rubbing or flicking against her to impregnate her. If he is truly male then only explanation is he is infertile. Do you have a pic of him?

Other thing is, where did u get your females from? Most females you buy are already impregnated which would lead me to believe they may be gravid but just not show it much and the babies are getting eaten.

I'd notice if there were fry
The male is minuscule compared to the females however in the time I've been watching he hasn't touched a female
The females are from an LFS, petsmart, and daughters of the petsmart guppies from another male
They had a second batch but the fry were eaten
He is a male
How can you tell from a pic if he is infertile? Mine has pinkish spots along the lower sides and bottom of his stomach
All my other males exhibited the same traits yet impregnated several females

I can't. But I could confirm if he is a male and tell you if he was sexually mature or not. If he is half inch or so he will be practically guaranteed to be ready to breed.

I mentioned about the females because they can store sperm and if you bought em from an LFS then they could spawn three or four month after purchase without even coming into contact with a male in your tank. Therefore I was implying it would be harder to NOT have one pregnant female out of eight, fry are easily and quickly eaten, it would be easy to miss births in a two month period and not even realise.

I know the girls dropped while I was on vacation- result- no fry
And the male is an inch long and has a fully developed gonopodium

Back
Top Bottom