Guppy Pregnancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First time guppy owner: I got this guppy from my LFS and they said she was probably already pregnant. Ive had her for about four days. I've spent hours sitting watching her and I definitely see eyes and I do see males following her and she does like to go over to the corner of the tank to not be bothered. Her gravid spot seems darker today than it has but she's not very big. Can someone give me some insight into what I can do and what I should expect? And if she is pregnant, how long do I have? Thanks!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402160649.167706.jpg

She's not eating... Just picking it up and spitting it out and her fins are clamped most the time as well..

Her tail looks a little torn, wit my experience wit guppies, she may have fin rot. Every time I brought a new guppy home from the shop they had something wrong wit them, needed treatment or extra salt and frequent water changes each day till they recovered. She looks like she's only in the early stages of pregnancy too, my guppies become like balloons b4 they're ready to drop fry

I noticed her fin but I didn't even think of fin rot. Does fin rot not turn the fins white or black? I know of it I've just never dealt with or seen it in any of my tanks. Should I quarantine her or just treat the whole tank? Would probably be best to treat the tank if it's ok for the other guppies, right? She probably has two+ weeks before I need to worry about fry then?

They say quarantine them, but for me, I didn't have anywhere else to put fish for that, so I treated the tank, first with medicine and then after treatment time just changing out water each day, cause I read they need very clean water for recovery, I also added a little extra salt. It usually started wit the fins/ tail disappearing, that can mayb be hard to notice, I only noticed one of the new guppies I got had it cause her arm fins were fuzzy white at the end and then I saw her body didn't look right, but after I treated her, and kept very clean water for her recovery she was fine

It's hard to tell from just pics, if she does hav fin rot. She just may have torn her tail on something. Just monitor her, see if the tail or fins have any deterioration, then u would know for sure she has if she has it.

Is it rapid deterioration? Or should I be able to notice it fairly quick? I sit and watch them quite a few times a day (that's about what my fun consists of haha) and I did just look at one of my males and and it does look like he has fin rot. I don't know how I didn't even notice something was wrong. Ahh! I'll try to get a picture of him.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402196314.615345.jpg

That definitely looks like fin rot.
Thanks for pointing me out to it!

U would prob notice differences in them each day. I watch my fish too, my husband thinks I'm mad haha, but apart from liking to watch what they're up to,I am also checking for any abnormal behaviour/disease, especially if I've introduced new fish to the tank. I'm paranoid about it now cause it can happen so fast and u never even noticed.

Yeah definitely fin rot, but acting fast can still save them. Do a big water change and add some medicine and salt. Follow the two or three day medicine instructions and then just keep the tank super clean until their tails recover so the bacteria can't take hold again during their recovery

Hi. Should I take this little fry out of the tank or would he be ok? It's 5 days of medicating the tank and I forgot about him the first time but he's been a hardy little guy since I've had him. He got caught in the bag at the LFS so I got a cute little +1. I feel like I should take him out. Would this be best?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402339044.349485.jpg

I have a small tank full of fry at the moment, if I didn't take them out, the others would eat them on me. your little guy must be good at hiding. Also it's hard to tell if they get anything to eat, because they can't compete wit the larger fish

Yeah! He's out an in a separate little 0.5G tank. He was doing pretty well in the main tank, I was a little worried at first but the other 4 guppies didn't even bother him. The little fry swam with the big guys. Done two treatments and I can't even believe how fast the colours on these guys brightened. Almost immediate difference. :)
Also should I be adding the aquarium salt daily with the treatments?

If they are improving with the medicine then mayb they don't need the salt, mayb after the treatment period is done u could add a little extra salt to aid the recover period. Glad everything is turning out well. I had a few disasters when I started out last year owning fish, and finding this site has helped me no end

I know I love it!! Thanks for the awesome advice. Totally appreciate it :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402865986.134500.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402866036.654596.jpg

Can someone help me estimate when this lady is gonna pop? This is my first pregnant guppy so I am not sure how to timeline it.. She ate this morning but has been hiding in the corner of my tank behind the plants.

Back
Top Bottom