Guppy Pregnant or sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennybo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My guppy that I have had for almost a year now has the biggest belly I have ever seen on her. She has always had the dark gravid spot so it is hard to see anything. She has spent the past 2 days laying down on the sand behind my plant in the tank. She comes up to eat when I feed the tank but retreats back to laying down again and hiding. Is she just prepairing for birth or is she sick. I really hope its babies because I would hate to lose her. The male guppy has been trying like crazy to get to her and do what he does best.

:lilangel:

She is so sad looking. I only feed my fish once a day and the food is gone in 2 minutes tops. I really don't think I could be overfeeding, I hope she is ok. The fact that she is laying on the bottom worries me!

Well, you can try feeding boiled de-shelled peas, which is a laxative for fish. It won't hurt them, I feed mine peas once a week. :)

I lost her! :(

She must have been sick.

I'm so sad, even my 13 year old said I would never find another fish to take pearl's place!:puppydogeyes:

Sorry for your loss! It could have been she was pregnant and stress/disease could have complicated things. When I had lots of guppies a few would become constipated and their bellies would balloon up. I would usually put them on a blanched pea diet like dkpate recommended - A few responded quite well to it. Best wishes!

Sorry for your loss.

Some guppies when pregnant hang at the bottom or under a big leaf, if you have one. Some swim around like they're not pregnant at all and give birth all over the tank.

Sometimes they do have complications when pregnant and suddenly die. Also Guppies live for about 2 to 3 years, so she might be getting a bit old as well.

I hope you find another guppy =)

Back
Top Bottom