Guppy x Gambusia affins.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppielover

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im trying to breed my guppy and my gambusia or normally known as mosquito fish i have put 4 females with 1 male to see how it goes recently I brought a 5G tank for the fry so im ready for this. And yes i know gambusia tend to be aggressive but i have them for 4 months and theyre not anymore because there are bigger fish in the tank probably that intimidate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The male Gambusia is helping the female guppies i put them in another tank now so that he doesnt bother them anymore.

I concur, not going to happen. Also a 5gal is far too small to raise fry for more than a week or so.

I've read about them being able to cross. It creates offspring similar to those of wild guppies.

Although they are of a different genus, genera are man made. They provide a good guide for genetic crossing but aren't concrete. In other words, you can breed within a genus, but you can also breed outside of it in certain instances.

If i had them for 3 weeks in 1 gallon i believe theyre doing better in the 5g nowImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424734577.123979.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424734627.841845.jpg

They were here before for like 3 weeksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424734950.269160.jpg

In these one gallon ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424735002.879785.jpg

Lots of plants, the fry will probably do well. Do you have a plan on what to do with offspring?

Despite of the fact of two different genuses, they're able to interbreed. But be careful, those gambusias are real fin nippers. So, don't be surprised that at some time those fins of those guppies won't be so perfect looking anymore.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434526332.734522.jpg
This is what they look like they're not even cute.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I find them pretty cool haha

You should try to breed the Guppy x Gambusia cross with Guppy x Guppy to try to produce more guppy like traits while holding onto the hardiness of Gambusia. (assuming you still are enjoying the project, or want to continue)

Yeah I'm going to try it I recently bought a 30g tank so i can do it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom