Guppy's having problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Persian Guppy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 male Guppies and 3 female ones, 3 Platy and 1 baby Betta ... My concern is they all have been co existing together for about 2 months. I have a separate tank I usually keep one of the males in but I still haven't seen any fry. Am I doing something wrong?

Pics below

I do enjoy the one where the 2 makes are kissing . also my males keep dropping like flys.. For no reason

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406848739469.jpg
    1406848739469.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 1406848801322.jpg
    1406848801322.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 1406848861269.jpg
    1406848861269.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 1406848918315.jpg
    1406848918315.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 69
Probably the betta, from everything I've heard they attack just about anything with fluttery fins like male guppies.

Your betta will be killing your guppies

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The Betta is a baby? And I don't see it being aggressive . But the main question is why there is no fry. I have a male and a female in a tank alone I originally purchased the baby Betta for fry control. But there is no pregnancies I see to spawn fry

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't no anything about breeding but it could be cause there to stressed to breed with having the betta in there tank I really would t advise having them together I had my betta with 5 guppies and when my betta got big he killed the guppies

Everything you have in the tank will eat fry. I would add a lot more plants for cover and see if that helps.

Guppies can be strange. In my tank sometimes they will have fry all at once. So like 20 females just gave birth. Total population boom. Other times the will wait a a day or 2 in between each other so for almost a month there are fish being born in my tank. And other times and currently happening they have not gave birth for a month or 2. Just make sure the male is not harassing the female to much because if they female is pregnant she can absorb they unborn fry back into the uterus. They have to be comfortable and stress free. Basically no matter what you do the fish will do it when they are ready. I do recommend some more plants. And for the beta it should not be a problem unless they are really fancy guppies and a mean beta. I have keep full grown male betas with fancy guppies and they were fine. Most guppies can out swim a beta. Sometimes I did lose a guppy but if it is a baby and has been raised with them it should be fine. All fish can be aggressive. In one of my tanks (only guppies) a few of the males have their fins ripped and torn. And if you sit long enuf and watch you will see guppies fight. Now it's not like a death match but the fins do take some damage. Add a few more plants and maybe separate the female until she gives birth (can cause stress). Sometimes just have to wait.

I don't no anything about breeding but it could be cause there to stressed to breed with having the betta in there tank I really would t advise having them together I had my betta with 5 guppies and when my betta got big he killed the guppies

Sometimes stressed fish won't drop. But your guppies don't look very pregnant. They are probably giving birth and eating their fry. Or are infertile.

Probably the betta, from everything I've heard they attack just about anything with fluttery fins like male guppies.

I had 8 female bettas with guppies and swordtails for a year their was never violence, I keep male bettas in all my guppy breeding tanks with no problems.

Your betta will be killing your guppies

They aren't killers.

Guppies can be strange. In my tank sometimes they will have fry all at once. So like 20 females just gave birth. Total population boom. Other times the will wait a a day or 2 in between each other so for almost a month there are fish being born in my tank. And other times and currently happening they have not gave birth for a month or 2. Just make sure the male is not harassing the female to much because if they female is pregnant she can absorb they unborn fry back into the uterus. They have to be comfortable and stress free. Basically no matter what you do the fish will do it when they are ready. I do recommend some more plants. And for the beta it should not be a problem unless they are really fancy guppies and a mean beta. I have keep full grown male betas with fancy guppies and they were fine. Most guppies can out swim a beta. Sometimes I did lose a guppy but if it is a baby and has been raised with them it should be fine. All fish can be aggressive. In one of my tanks (only guppies) a few of the males have their fins ripped and torn. And if you sit long enuf and watch you will see guppies fight. Now it's not like a death match but the fins do take some damage. Add a few more plants and maybe separate the female until she gives birth (can cause stress). Sometimes just have to wait.

I have really fancy halfmoon guppies that are never bothered by my male plakat.

And some peoples Bettas are killers, both of mine have ripped my guppies to shreds when they managed to jump over their nets.

I would add more hiding places, both your guppies look pregnant, but some can take longer than others to drop, and some are more vicious about eating the fry than others.

Back
Top Bottom