Have to leave 1m old fry for a week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woz2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 11 Danios fry. They are approaching 1 month old. So far they have been feed egg yolk. Problem is, I have to travel for a week and not sure what to do. I don't have anyone near me that can feed them.

I have a small plastic plant from another tank that I have allowed to 'grow' some algae. Will that be sufficient for them?

I was thinking I could put them in a spare 10G by themselves and set up an auto feeder with some crushed food. But the food in the feeder usually clumps up after a couple of days. I also don't think some of the fry are big enough for that type of food.

They are currently in a breeder net in a 60G.

Advice?

I wouldn't trust an auto feeder. Fry are also more sensitive to water quality and I'm doubting could go a week without food unlike adults.

Caleb

Yes I know the fry couldn't go a week without food. That's why I'm looking for advice. At this point I'm not too worried about water quality if the alternative is to let them starve and die. I'm just not sure if they can find the food let alone eat it if I go the auto feeder route. I would probably only put in enough for a few days anyway and hope they survive the last few days without food (or what algae is growing on the plastic plant).

I have only used the feeder a couple of times when I have been away for over 2 weeks so the feeder should be in good shape.

Anyone know if I just dump a small piece of egg yolk in the breeder net (keeping them in the 60G), if the egg yolk will be soft enough for them to nibble off? I've got them in a course breeder net so the water flow should be enough to keep it from getting too dirty.

I wouldn't trust an auto feeder. Fry are also more sensitive to water quality and I'm doubting could go a week without food unlike adults.

Caleb

Yes I know the fry couldn't go a week without food. That's why I'm looking for advice. At this point I'm not too worried about water quality if the alternative is to let them starve and die. I'm just not sure if they can find the food let alone eat it if I go the auto feeder route. I would probably only put in enough for a few days anyway and hope they survive the last few days without food (or what algae is growing on the plastic plant).

I have only used the feeder a couple of times when I have been away for over 2 weeks so the feeder should be in good shape.

Anyone know if I just dump a small piece of egg yolk in the breeder net (keeping them in the 60G), if the egg yolk will be soft enough for them to nibble off? I've got them in a course breeder net so the water flow should be enough to keep it from getting too dirty.

You can try it. With no one else to take care of them I don't see many other options.

Caleb

Yes I think this is probably the best bet.

The 60G is well under-stocked with good filtering (canister), so the water quality should be fine. I will do a 20% change before I leave.

Thanks.

I would do the 60g. Do a massive water change right before you leave.

Caleb

Yes I think this is probably the best bet.

The 60G is well under-stocked with good filtering (canister), so the water quality should be fine. I will do a 20% change before I leave.

Thanks.

When I said massive I was thinking more along the lines of 60-80% water change. You never know what can happen when you are gone for a week. :)

Caleb

LOL. I'll see what I can do. Its only got 11 small fish (1") in there (besides the fry).

Thanks.

When I said massive I was thinking more along the lines of 60-80% water change. You never know what can happen when you are gone for a week. :)

Caleb

i feed my babies fine crushed fish food from day one, i would try to feed it to them while you are here and then set up an auto feeder but if they dont go for it them i would feed them the yoke

What kind of babies are they, live bearers?

I can't see how my fry can eat crushed food from day one, they weren't 2mm in length.

i feed my babies fine crushed fish food from day one, i would try to feed it to them while you are here and then set up an auto feeder but if they dont go for it them i would feed them the yoke

And that's a 60g? Doing a large water change like suggested and that sparsely stocked you should be fine as long as they can get some food.

Caleb

Yes that's my main concern getting them some food.

The 60G is only 4 months old (really 3 months after cycling) and I'm undecided how I want it stocked. I will probably keep a few of the babies if successful. Give the rest to family and friends and then add stock slowly.

The adult fish in there now are over 5 years old so I'm kinda waiting for them to go to fish heaven before I get it fully stocked.

And that's a 60g? Doing a large water change like suggested and that sparsely stocked you should be fine as long as they can get some food.

Caleb

Yes that's my main concern getting them some food.

The 60G is only 4 months old (really 3 months after cycling) and I'm undecided how I want it stocked. I will probably keep a few of the babies if successful. Give the rest to family and friends and then add stock slowly.

The adult fish in there now are over 5 years old so I'm kinda waiting for them to go to fish heaven before I get it fully stocked.

If you travel a lot I would keep it lightly stocked to help maintain the water quality. Water changes right before and right after trips.

Caleb

Thanks for the advice. I won't ever fully load it to the point of disaster if I miss a weekly change. I travel 4 times a year and most of the time it is 10 days. Been doing it a long time and my fish are living to old age so I know I'm not abusing them too much! :lol:

This breeding though while fun is a lot of work!!!!

If you travel a lot I would keep it lightly stocked to help maintain the water quality. Water changes right before and right after trips.

Caleb

mine are live bearers i wold just try to feed it to them while yu are there see if they will eat it.

Back
Top Bottom