Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Heavily Pregnant swordtail

I have a heavily pregnant swordtail, she looks as if she might explode and has squared off nicely, this is the first time i have had a pregnant swordtail the thing is i have her seperated in her own little tank because i want to save as many fry as possible, but 3 days ago she gave birth to 4 tiny miniscule little fry,, i have had platty fry before and they are half the size of these,, she didnt give birth to any more mut is still heavily pregnant,, has anyone had this hapen before? could it be that the "runts" escaped out as they were alot smaller ,, not quite sure what is happening,, any help/advice would be apreciated

Old 12-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would keep waiting, sounds to me she still has more in her, is the tank you put her in cycled? Make sure the filter intake is covered to prevent babies being sucked in.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd keep waiting like the other guy said. My painted platy (before she died) was heavily pregnant but she only gave birth to one fry. Or more, but they probably were eaten. I'd keep her in a cycled tank and watch closely.

Tags
pregnant, pregnant swordtail, swordtail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com