Heavily Pregnant swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anonboy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a heavily pregnant swordtail, she looks as if she might explode and has squared off nicely, this is the first time i have had a pregnant swordtail the thing is i have her seperated in her own little tank because i want to save as many fry as possible, but 3 days ago she gave birth to 4 tiny miniscule little fry,, i have had platty fry before and they are half the size of these,, she didnt give birth to any more mut is still heavily pregnant,, has anyone had this hapen before? could it be that the "runts" escaped out as they were alot smaller ,, not quite sure what is happening,, any help/advice would be apreciated:ermm:

I would keep waiting, sounds to me she still has more in her, is the tank you put her in cycled? Make sure the filter intake is covered to prevent babies being sucked in.

I'd keep waiting like the other guy said. My painted platy (before she died) was heavily pregnant but she only gave birth to one fry. Or more, but they probably were eaten. I'd keep her in a cycled tank and watch closely.

Back
Top Bottom