HELP!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerseyGirl1385

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! I have a 5 gallon aquarium with 4 sunset plattys and I think one is preggo- or really fat.
I'll upload pictures.
Any help would be appreciated! I have NO idea what to do with a preggo fish.

image-4257577312.jpg

image-3280147589.jpg

image-1017985158.jpg

Thank you!!!!!

It does look as if your fish is pregnant. Platy give live birth when it is time for her to deliver her belly will get more square looking especially towards the back end. She may try to hide or quit eating when the time is at hand. If you look up platy breeding it will help you understand what to expect. Sorry I can't post links from my phone.
4 platy fish should really be in a 10 gallon tank minimum. Your 5 gallon is over stocked and from the looks of your female it is going to be really over stocked soon.
I would recommend getting them moved to either a 10 -20 gallon tank 20 would be better if you plan to keep some of the babies. Then you could use the 5 gallon to house the babies till they are big enough to put in with parents.

JerseyGirl1385 said:
Hello everyone! I have a 5 gallon aquarium with 4 sunset plattys and I think one is preggo- or really fat.
I'll upload pictures.
Any help would be appreciated! I have NO idea what to do with a preggo fish.

Thank you!!!!!

Did you ever have that talk with them? You know... The birds and the bees? Little fish aren't my strong point but maybe you can put it in a separate tank? I'm really unsure as I deal with Cichlid's, I'm sorry I don't have a rock solid answer for you. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Good luck though Jersey!

Thanks Nimo and Convict.
I had a 38 gallon tank, but it started to bow.
I got scared and took it down immediately and I'm getting another one this weekend.
I'm going to put Momma in the 5 gallon until she's done birthing and leave the fry in the 5 gallon until they can be moved.

How in the world do I care for mini platy lol
I'm a newbie to the aquarium world as it is and my head is spinning.
Also, when I set up my 38 gallon- most likely tomorrow night, is there something I can add so I can add the other 3 platy sooner than later so I can get the 5 gallon tank cleaned and prepared for the birth?
Also.... Do I have to leave the 5 gallon tank running? I have another pregnant platy... Are breeding tanks like regular tanks? Just used for that purpose? Sorry for all the questions!!!!!

JerseyGirl1385 said:
How in the world do I care for mini platy lol
I'm a newbie to the aquarium world as it is and my head is spinning.
Also, when I set up my 38 gallon- most likely tomorrow night, is there something I can add so I can add the other 3 platy sooner than later so I can get the 5 gallon tank cleaned and prepared for the birth?
Also.... Do I have to leave the 5 gallon tank running? I have another pregnant platy... Are breeding tanks like regular tanks? Just used for that purpose? Sorry for all the questions!!!!!

When you set the new tank up throw a handful of gravel from the old tank to the new to jump start the cycling process. Just keep the 5G up and running just in case.
My nursery tank is just a 10G which works fine for fry.
Fry are not hard to take care of at all, just have a good steady temp and feed crushed flakes a few times a day.

Back
Top Bottom