help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First things first... do you have females? Many gouramis species are sold only as males because of the lesser coloration of the females. Also, which species are you talking about? Trichogaster or Colisa genus? Is this a blue gourami or a neon blue dwarf gourami?

With asian fish, especially any anabantoids (fish with labarynth organs, obligate surface breeders) Catappa leaves are used to stimulate breeding. This is a common trick for breeding bettas (also anabantoids).

You can find Catappa leaves on www.aquabid.com in their Breeding supplies section. Here's the link: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?breeding&&&&&&&pb=100

Also, I have a friend who breeds anabantoids. He often reduces the pH of the water to get his fish to breed. I'm not 100% sure about this for gouramis, though. I'd have to ask him.

hay

ive got a male an 2 females

there blue gouramis the females already plump but i was told they need to be conditioned first but i dont no wat to do plzz help

thanx

You can also goole "breeding gouramis". When you put in the time to do some research, it will be more rewarding.

You still did not say what species. If you cannot say and you have not researched at least the fundamentals; you have no business attempting to breed them! :evil:

Harsh..maybe; but true!

And why the sudden rush to breed an animal you know obviousl little about anyway?
You breed different color types and your result will muddy to wild type. It took countless generations to change them to solid colors, it only takes two hamhanded efforts the wrong direction to erase all those years of work.
Gourami are the easiest of the anabantoids to get to breed.If the tank conditions are right it is hard to keep them FROM breeding!

Dwarf gourami though, are far more like their betta cousins and are severely rough mates and aggressively territorial. A amorous male will chase an unwilling female to stress and will kill her if she still refuses. (not sexual...his take in nature is if she is not a potential mate she is a potential threat to the nest, eggs and fry..and should be terminated)
But the fry of nearly all bubble nesters nede closer to wild conditions to thrive. high temp, good very soft water. they are the smallest out there adn the Gourami are smallest of all the anabantoids.

you need a hospital tank to treat the female, you need a fry tank/breeding tank, you need a tank where the male can be housed after he is removed from the freeswimming fry. you need a culture of BBS or Microworms on hand BEFORE teh first fry become free. got any of that? Or did you even research taht far?
And what wil you do if you are lucky enough for a 100 of teh buggers to survive? LFS get them far cheaper by mail than you can afford to sell them for. Betta splendens sell about a dime a piece if you are lucky. The lfs may not even want females because their draber coloration. You growing juveniles may shred each other to pieces like bettas. If thes are a large gourami the shop won't take them til they are about 1.5-2 inches. that takes time if conditions are not perfect. If the fry do not all fade away.

I am rather a negative and crusty sort...I always assume a person who "suddenly" want to breed a labyrinth fish or rare fish , is thinking that it is waay lucrative because a few inflated prices here and there on the net and retail. But haven't calculated the cost of a proper set up for breeding or the time it takes to raise these animals to a viable age. If it was something you always admired and wanted to try...you should have done more research! :evil:

I agree with you Chrismtasfish. I woke up one morning to a huge bubble nest in one corner of my tank with one of the gouramies chasing everything else to the opposite corner. Of course, none of the fry made it, I was way to lazy to do anything but watch. Of course since then, I keep the tank a little cooler than they like for breeding.

i dont no wat the **** ure talkin about cause i hav all tanks ready live foods

places for the babys if any live an everythink so

**** off

an ive done well loads of research

an spoke to experts hoo hav helped me alot now

JMaster,

Sometimes ppl are cautious about initial breeding enthusiasm from somebody who hasn't posted here before. This happens to be the case for a good reason. A lot of ppl have come on this site, and said they're ready to breed even though their tanks aren't completely cycled, even though they have the wrong water conditions, or even if they don't have the right combo of females and males. (One famous recent case comes to mind...)

I think Christmasfish was trying to suss you out to see if you were really ready to breed fish. From your reaction, it seems like you are, so go ahead and take my previous advice. Get yourself some Catappa leaves and see if those get the gouramis in the mood. Also, this site (http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Labyrinthfish/Trichogaster/Trichogaster_trichopterus.htm) recommends lowering the water level of the tank. You might try this.

HTH

wow. actually from jmasters response i wouldnt guess hes educated on the fish. there wouldnt be a need to have such a hostile response or to swear. he couldve just answered in a more respectful, educated way, to illustrate "his research".

iheartmyfish said:
wow. actually from jmasters response i wouldnt guess hes educated on the fish. there wouldnt be a need to have such a hostile response or to swear. he couldve just answered in a more respectful, educated way, to illustrate "his research".

I completely agree. His post is rediculous! Everyone deserves a chance on here, but IMO, people like him should be banned. I'm not a mod though so I can't tell them how to do their job. :oops:

-brent

acctually ive been lookin after a breedin fish since i was 7 but now im 16
so i think i no how to keep fish an im always researchin on fish

the only reason i swear cause im a teenager an hate peeps tellin me that i dont no how to keep fish

jmaster, teenager or not, this site is a family orientated site. We all care and respect our finned friends. In the future, give some background and then ask a question. Notice how none of the responses to you were hostile or had to be censored. This is the second time I have seen you take an angry tone with other posters. Explain yourself rationally and you will get more out of this site.

good call maenagerie :) we all learn from one another, and theres no need to for hostility.
but being a teenager is no excuse, we were all teens at one point- that doesnt give you a right to swear. if you're so mad that people tell you that you cannot keep fish, it might be because of how you talk and sound and your angry outbursts. if you conduct yourself in a more respectful manner and more speak more intellegently then you wouldnt have so many problems with people saying you are not educated and cannot keep fish.

Back
Top Bottom