Help! Apisto' Caucotoides Hatchlings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kheta111

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks!

I have a 40 gallon planted community tank with: Angels,Gouramis,Rams,Rainbows,Corys,Dwarf Plecos, Siamese Algae Eaters, and a harem of Cockatoo cichlids (Tank is peaceful, clean the levels are fine). Two of my female Apistos have laid eggs and one cluster of them just hatched today! With all these other species in the tank are these hatchlings goners? This is new to me, so I'm not positive as to what to do in this situation. I don't have a back up tank so should I get a fry basket and vacuum them into it and keep it in there?Any tips are appreciated, thanks!

Hi folks!

I have a 40 gallon planted community tank with: Angels,Gouramis,Rams,Rainbows,Corys,Dwarf Plecos, Siamese Algae Eaters, and a harem of Cockatoo cichlids (Tank is peaceful, clean the levels are fine). Two of my female Apistos have laid eggs and one cluster of them just hatched today! With all these other species in the tank are these hatchlings goners? This is new to me, so I'm not positive as to what to do in this situation. I don't have a back up tank so should I get a fry basket and vacuum them into it and keep it in there?Any tips are appreciated, thanks!

My apisto CACs have spawned many times in my community tank and the babies have never lasted longer than 3 or 4 days. If you want to save them, siphoning them into a fry net would be a good move to separate them from the larger fish. It would be a good Idea to get some BBS to feed them if you decide to separate them. It would be batter to have a separate, cycled tank for them but if you want to try and raise some the net will work.

Back
Top Bottom