HELP...Blue Rams laid eggs in community tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graybeard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It must have happened last night or today, she laid eggs in the middle of a fake swordtail plant. Mom and Pop are guarding the eggs fiercely although no other fish are trying to get the eggs, they are just getting too close.

Pretty funny, my Dwarf Fire Gourami is a royal PIA, hitting every other fish in the tank, but one of the GBR's is pounding the DFG in the side, he will go after the GBR and the GBR will make a hairpin turn and go back at the DFG's side.

I think I need to take him back which sucks because he's handsome!

OK, I should be able to get a tank divider tomorrow, will I have any eggs left?

How long will it take for them to hatch?

GBR fry are probably Angel food, correct? Won't be an issue if they are isolated.

What do I feed them?

This is so COOL, I bought three GBR's on Monday and now eggs...sounds lucky to me :D

Oh, I'm overloaded to the gills but have two options for thinning the tank and will take care of it soon. For now, I'm showing the list to determine who may be safe with the GBR fry...if I should be so lucky.

5 - Glo-lite Tets (1/2")
1 - Lemon Tet (1")
4- Serpae Tets (1")
2 - Gold Angels (nicklel)
1 - Pleco (3")
5 - Paleatus Cory's (1")
1 - Dwarf Fire Gourami (2.25")
3 - German Blue Rams (1.25")

Best bet to raise the fry, set up a 20 long, use a sponge filter, preferably from an established tank, and move the fry into it after they hatch. Microworms and baby brine shrimp, live or frozen, until they are big enough to eat crushed flakes. Microworms are better, because they live much longer in the water than bbs, and you can set up a floating plastic cup w/water and some small holes in the bottom to drop microworms more gradually over longer periods of time. Some live plants, like java moss or najas (guppy) grass would also be helpful.

Couldn't set up another aquarium if I wanted right now but thanks.

Eggs are just about gone now, I won't lose sleep over it.

The rams themselves were probably the culprit...

Anything in that tank would eat the eggs as i have found that just about all species of fish LOVE a snack of fresh eggs.

It could also be that the rams just laid the eggs and left them (unfertilized at that point). Many possibilities

Back
Top Bottom