Help breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyg23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have recently been trying to breed ebjds. I have 1 male ebjd, 1 regular male, 1 female ebjd, 1 bgjd, and one regular. All are at least 4in in size. I have been rotating them around in tanks, changing the scape, pairs, dithers, tank size, pretty much everything I can think of and just can not get them to breed. Does anyone have any advice?

I have recently been trying to breed ebjds. I have 1 male ebjd, 1 regular male, 1 female ebjd, 1 bgjd, and one regular. All are at least 4in in size. I have been rotating them around in tanks, changing the scape, pairs, dithers, tank size, pretty much everything I can think of and just can not get them to breed. Does anyone have any advice?

Question #1 Are you sure you have males and females?
Question #2 Are you sure they are OLD enough ( size is not necessarily an indicator of age) to breed?
Question #3 Are you giveng them the correct water parameters to want to breed?

We can go from there (y)

Question #1 Are you sure you have males and females?
Question #2 Are you sure they are OLD enough ( size is not necessarily an indicator of age) to breed?
Question #3 Are you giveng them the correct water parameters to want to breed?

We can go from there (y)

I am sure of the regular and bgjd being female and also of the 2 males. My smaller ebjd may be a female.
My regular male and female are over 3 yrs old, my bgjd spawned with another male before I got her and my ebjds are a year old.
My parameters are 0, 0, 40 at 80 degrees.

I am sure of the regular and bgjd being female and also of the 2 males. My smaller ebjd may be a female.
My regular male and female are over 3 yrs old, my bgjd spawned with another male before I got her and my ebjds are a year old.
My parameters are 0, 0, 40 at 80 degrees.

Ok, You can try raising the temp a few degrees ( 82-83) and do regular water changes to get that Nitrate down a bit. Sometimes using cooler water ( just a couple of degrees) will spark spawning. Make sure water hardness is not an issue. You may need to lower PH to either neutral or slightly acidic levels. Make sure you are prepping the fish with higher protein foods ( and a variety of them not just one type) to get those females ripe with eggs.

If possible, find out from the breeder what the water parameters where ( PH/ Hardness/ Temp) when the fish spawned before. That's what you need to duplicate. The other parameters are basic stuff for survivng. The 3 I mentioned are necessary for breeding (y)

They will pair off naturally if you just tank them together or in a semi configured group. Jacks are one of those cichlids that don't do the arranged marrage thing. Also, try setting up an area to spawn in the back corner of the tank away from traffic.

Back
Top Bottom