Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Help! First time father here!

So my guppy just have birth. I could save 11 of the fry by the time I got there. I have them in a breeder net but most of them just lay at the bottom. Is that normal? I put hikari first bites in there but they don't seem to go after it... It's floating at the top but it says it will eventually sink. Is this normal for them to lay at the bottom of the breeder net? Any tips would be appreciated!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes it's normal , they should start eating by tomorrow. Try feeding frozen bbs

Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

When they are first born they take a bit of time to get over the birthing process. They are squeezed in very tightly.

If you can, try to feed them some live or frozen foods. Fry do their best with some animal sources Omega fats, rather than plant based ones, in most cases, guppies included. Crush the frozen stuff if it is too coarse at first. Frozen BBS.. baby brine shrimp, are good, as are daphnia and even blood worms, which really have to be smashed up to be small enough.

If you are the type who's willing, and can get some, microworms are excellent first foods for guppy and other live bearer fry, easy to culture, high in the fats needed. They live four to five days once in the water, so fry can pick them off the bottom of a bare tank and you only have to feed every couple of days. They will fall through a net though, unfortunately.

Also very good food for most fish once to twice weekly, as a treat and for general fortifying. Live is what they evolved to eat after all, and frozen is the next best if you can provide it.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
When they are first born they take a bit of time to get over the birthing process. They are squeezed in very tightly.

If you can, try to feed them some live or frozen foods. Fry do their best with some animal sources Omega fats, rather than plant based ones, in most cases, guppies included. Crush the frozen stuff if it is too coarse at first. Frozen BBS.. baby brine shrimp, are good, as are daphnia and even blood worms, which really have to be smashed up to be small enough.

If you are the type who's willing, and can get some, microworms are excellent first foods for guppy and other live bearer fry, easy to culture, high in the fats needed. They live four to five days once in the water, so they can pick they off the bottom of a bare tank and you only have to feed every couple of days. They will fall through a net though, unfortunately.

Also very good food for most fish once to twice weekly, as a treat and for general fortifying. Live is what they evolved to eat after all, and frozen is the next best if you can provide it.
I'm not sure where I can get baby brine shrimp
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have a local fish store, they should have some frozen foods, most of them do. Not sure about places like Petsmart.

Alternately, if it's something you'd consider, microworms are very easy to culture and excellent fry food, as well as good food for adult fish once or twice a week. They are a harmless nematode widely cultured for fish feeding, very small, and live at least four to five days once added to a tank, so you don't have to worry about them dying, and fry can pick them off a tank bottom, saving you having to feed them so often.

Check local Kijiji or Craigslist ads for hobbyists selling cultures, or even Ebay might have cultures for sale, as well as Aquabid or other auction sites. I've never looked, as I am able to get them from local hobbyists easily enough.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you! I will look into it!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com