Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
help ghost shrimp preg

HELP i bought two ghost shrimp today and one is carrying eggs can I put it in a 1/2 to 2 gallon aquarium without a filter on it and if you can does it help to put salt in it I read on the internet that it does.
__________________

__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scottyhorse's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,823
Nobody has really ever raised ghost shrimp babies, it's almost impossible.
__________________

__________________
Starting over...... Kinda.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now


Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
i know people have it was on the internet and in books and magazines and my local pet store has.
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scottyhorse's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,823
Well, you'd need an established SW tank, BW tank and FW tank for the larvae.
All I know is that it's really hard. Plus you need to know the type of ghost shrimp.
__________________
Starting over...... Kinda.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now


Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
What do you mean by sw bw and fw and how do you tell what type of ghost shrimp and what types are there.
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lovemyguppies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 265
Sw-saltwater bw-brackish water fw-freshwater
__________________
lovemyguppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
ok now that I know what sw bw and fw stands for. Why would I need salt, brachish and freshwater aquariums for the larve
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
I have another question will the ghost shrimp eat there eggs within 24 hours of them laying them.
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lovemyguppies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
ok now that I know what sw bw and fw stands for. Why would I need salt, brachish and freshwater aquariums for the larve
I'm not completely sure but I'm pretty sure ghost shrimp eggs only hatch in sw
__________________
lovemyguppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
If you can could you find out if they will only hatch in saltwater because i don't have a sw tank i only have two 10 gallon aquariums.
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SKB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jamestown, NY
Posts: 746
I had boughten 5 ghost shrimp In my freshwater tank. Then I had 6. Then 4 were pregnant. I didn't put salt in my tank. But 1 out of how many eggs is that? So he could still be correct and it might stil be somewhat true
__________________

Freshwater Newbie? Click this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-154837.html
SKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lovemyguppies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
I had boughten 5 ghost shrimp In my freshwater tank. Then I had 6. Then 4 were pregnant. I didn't put salt in my tank. But 1 out of how many eggs is that? So he could still be correct and it might stil be somewhat true
I'm a girl just so you know lol but i could definitely be wrong about that. I'm pretty sure i read something saying that, also that's the only reason i could imagine the other person posting about needing fw bw and sw.
__________________
lovemyguppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SKB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jamestown, NY
Posts: 746
Well like I said I had one baby that grew out of a ton of eggs I didn't see any others. So it might be very rare.

But yeah the bw sw fw thing could be true. I'd suggest doing research if you do want to have ghost shrimp babies.

Idk what kind I had so that also might be a factor. All I knew was they were ghost shrimp
__________________

Freshwater Newbie? Click this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-154837.html
SKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
the eggs hatch last night and there are about 11 babies in my hatchery do you know how long it takes for them to get big to put in a aquarium with big fish.
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SKB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jamestown, NY
Posts: 746
Idk approximately a month ...
__________________

Freshwater Newbie? Click this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-154837.html
SKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SKB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jamestown, NY
Posts: 746
But what kind of big fish? Big fish usually will eat them
__________________

Freshwater Newbie? Click this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-154837.html
SKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
1-21/2 inches there livebearers
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SKB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jamestown, NY
Posts: 746
Those should be fine
__________________

Freshwater Newbie? Click this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-154837.html
SKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,432
Ghost shrimp do not need saltwater to hatch their eggs. I have a very tiny baby shrimp in my tank right now. My girls are constantly berried but I didn't have any hope of getting babies because of how tiny the larvae are. They get eaten, sucked into the filter, or starve. They take almost unseeable food at first. I think mine survived this stage because I added christmas moss. I have it growing in larges sheets on a tree base. Growing my underwater tree. I was also feeding the adult shrimp the left over Hakari Fist Bites I was feeding to my molly fry. It is very fine food and the shrimp come out in droves when I add it to the tank. I think that if you put an enclosed container in the main tank and put the berried shrimp in there, add some moss or something for the larvae to hide under from too much light. Even some loose filter floss would work, then feed them very finely crushed flake food or some liquid or powder fry food, you will get a few survivors. Everything I have read about breading them says it is starvation in the aquarium that usually kills them. Plus other fish eating them. I was actually planning on trying this but I run into some problems with my fish and tank so I haven't gotten the chance. Just google breading ghost shrimp and you should get lots of info. I found several sites with info on how to try and breed them.

Here is my tree the shrimp love. This is a picture from when I first added it. It has really grown since this was taken. The shrimp look like little monkeys crawling around in it.LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0190.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	167631  
__________________
wildroseofky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #20
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
Ghost shrimp do not need saltwater to hatch their eggs. I have a very tiny baby shrimp in my tank right now. My girls are constantly berried but I didn't have any hope of getting babies because of how tiny the larvae are. They get eaten, sucked into the filter, or starve. They take almost unseeable food at first. I think mine survived this stage because I added christmas moss. I have it growing in larges sheets on a tree base. Growing my underwater tree. I was also feeding the adult shrimp the left over Hakari Fist Bites I was feeding to my molly fry. It is very fine food and the shrimp come out in droves when I add it to the tank. I think that if you put an enclosed container in the main tank and put the berried shrimp in there, add some moss or something for the larvae to hide under from too much light. Even some loose filter floss would work, then feed them very finely crushed flake food or some liquid or powder fry food, you will get a few survivors. Everything I have read about breading them says it is starvation in the aquarium that usually kills them. Plus other fish eating them. I was actually planning on trying this but I run into some problems with my fish and tank so I haven't gotten the chance. Just google breading ghost shrimp and you should get lots of info. I found several sites with info on how to try and breed them.

Here is my tree the shrimp love. This is a picture from when I first added it. It has really grown since this was taken. The shrimp look like little monkeys crawling around in it.LOL
how did you make your plant.
__________________

__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ghost, ghost shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×