Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

help ghost shrimp preg

HELP i bought two ghost shrimp today and one is carrying eggs can I put it in a 1/2 to 2 gallon aquarium without a filter on it and if you can does it help to put salt in it I read on the internet that it does.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nobody has really ever raised ghost shrimp babies, it's almost impossible.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #3

i know people have it was on the internet and in books and magazines and my local pet store has.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, you'd need an established SW tank, BW tank and FW tank for the larvae.
All I know is that it's really hard. Plus you need to know the type of ghost shrimp.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #5

What do you mean by sw bw and fw and how do you tell what type of ghost shrimp and what types are there.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sw-saltwater bw-brackish water fw-freshwater
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

ok now that I know what sw bw and fw stands for. Why would I need salt, brachish and freshwater aquariums for the larve
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #8

I have another question will the ghost shrimp eat there eggs within 24 hours of them laying them.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
ok now that I know what sw bw and fw stands for. Why would I need salt, brachish and freshwater aquariums for the larve
I'm not completely sure but I'm pretty sure ghost shrimp eggs only hatch in sw
Old 04-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #10

If you can could you find out if they will only hatch in saltwater because i don't have a sw tank i only have two 10 gallon aquariums.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had boughten 5 ghost shrimp In my freshwater tank. Then I had 6. Then 4 were pregnant. I didn't put salt in my tank. But 1 out of how many eggs is that? So he could still be correct and it might stil be somewhat true

Freshwater Newbie? Click this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-154837.html
SKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
I had boughten 5 ghost shrimp In my freshwater tank. Then I had 6. Then 4 were pregnant. I didn't put salt in my tank. But 1 out of how many eggs is that? So he could still be correct and it might stil be somewhat true
I'm a girl just so you know lol but i could definitely be wrong about that. I'm pretty sure i read something saying that, also that's the only reason i could imagine the other person posting about needing fw bw and sw.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well like I said I had one baby that grew out of a ton of eggs I didn't see any others. So it might be very rare.

But yeah the bw sw fw thing could be true. I'd suggest doing research if you do want to have ghost shrimp babies.

Idk what kind I had so that also might be a factor. All I knew was they were ghost shrimp

Freshwater Newbie? Click this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-154837.html
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #14

the eggs hatch last night and there are about 11 babies in my hatchery do you know how long it takes for them to get big to put in a aquarium with big fish.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Idk approximately a month ...

Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But what kind of big fish? Big fish usually will eat them

Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #17

1-21/2 inches there livebearers
Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those should be fine

Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ghost shrimp do not need saltwater to hatch their eggs. I have a very tiny baby shrimp in my tank right now. My girls are constantly berried but I didn't have any hope of getting babies because of how tiny the larvae are. They get eaten, sucked into the filter, or starve. They take almost unseeable food at first. I think mine survived this stage because I added christmas moss. I have it growing in larges sheets on a tree base. Growing my underwater tree. I was also feeding the adult shrimp the left over Hakari Fist Bites I was feeding to my molly fry. It is very fine food and the shrimp come out in droves when I add it to the tank. I think that if you put an enclosed container in the main tank and put the berried shrimp in there, add some moss or something for the larvae to hide under from too much light. Even some loose filter floss would work, then feed them very finely crushed flake food or some liquid or powder fry food, you will get a few survivors. Everything I have read about breading them says it is starvation in the aquarium that usually kills them. Plus other fish eating them. I was actually planning on trying this but I run into some problems with my fish and tank so I haven't gotten the chance. Just google breading ghost shrimp and you should get lots of info. I found several sites with info on how to try and breed them.

Here is my tree the shrimp love. This is a picture from when I first added it. It has really grown since this was taken. The shrimp look like little monkeys crawling around in it.LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0190.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	167631  
Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
Ghost shrimp do not need saltwater to hatch their eggs. I have a very tiny baby shrimp in my tank right now. My girls are constantly berried but I didn't have any hope of getting babies because of how tiny the larvae are. They get eaten, sucked into the filter, or starve. They take almost unseeable food at first. I think mine survived this stage because I added christmas moss. I have it growing in larges sheets on a tree base. Growing my underwater tree. I was also feeding the adult shrimp the left over Hakari Fist Bites I was feeding to my molly fry. It is very fine food and the shrimp come out in droves when I add it to the tank. I think that if you put an enclosed container in the main tank and put the berried shrimp in there, add some moss or something for the larvae to hide under from too much light. Even some loose filter floss would work, then feed them very finely crushed flake food or some liquid or powder fry food, you will get a few survivors. Everything I have read about breading them says it is starvation in the aquarium that usually kills them. Plus other fish eating them. I was actually planning on trying this but I run into some problems with my fish and tank so I haven't gotten the chance. Just google breading ghost shrimp and you should get lots of info. I found several sites with info on how to try and breed them.

Here is my tree the shrimp love. This is a picture from when I first added it. It has really grown since this was taken. The shrimp look like little monkeys crawling around in it.LOL
how did you make your plant.

Tags
ghost, ghost shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com