Help!!! Guppy twins?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mleissac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my female guppy is dropping fry and these two just came out attached...what do I do? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387390074.548975.jpg

If it were me i would probably euthanize them, if they are joined at the tail.

If they are jointed by the yolk sack then i would leave them and see what happens.

I don't think there's anything you can do. Are they joined only by the egg sac? There's a possibility that they will separate as it is absorbed if so.

Yes only joined by the egg sac, are they twins or is that a deformity? Not sure if fish can produce twins or not. Lol

If they came from one egg, they may be twins. I'm not sure of the proper scientific terminology though so I can't confirm. In order to both be attached to the same egg sac, I'd assume they had to come from a single egg.

I would leave them and see what happens. They usually absorb the egg sack within a day or two. If the eggs sack is the only thing holding them together they should separate when it is gone. I have seen that happen in tadpoles. I would separate them and see how it goes. You would have confirmed identical twins since they were from the same egg. It would be in interesting science experiment for kids.

Yes definitely keep them separate from the rest of them and see what they look like. Should be interesting.

Soooo those two I carefully seperate with a surgeon type blade and they both lived and are still alive, I think they 'TWIN' gene for guppies comes from the father bc another of my females bred to the same male had joined twins this afternoon, I took a gamble and up them in 10 gallon NEWBORN tank. I move fry to 30 gallon once they are able swim and hide when I try and suck out with turkey Baster...that's how I get newborns outta large tank as well. Anyways the NEW twins have separated on their own and are alive and kicken it with all my other 3 week/month and under babies!

Back
Top Bottom