Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Sidman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 752
Help!! I think shes about ready!

I think my guppy is about ready to have babies. She stayed close to the ground as I watched her.. So I decided to put her in the breeding net. However I'm afraid he will have them during the night and eat them all.. Any suggestions? Also can you tell if she's ready by looking at these pictures. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1863638587.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	193580   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-324909707.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	193581  

__________________

__________________
Sidman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 20
Floating plants!!
__________________

__________________
Angelsong777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Sidman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsong777 View Post
Floating plants!!
I don't have any
__________________
Sidman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Dosen't have to be plants, just some cover of some sort would help
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Sidman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post
Dosen't have to be plants, just some cover of some sort would help
I put a fake leaf in the net from a fake rose. It's floating.. So hopefully that helps
__________________
Sidman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dubs1281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 611
If you have old plastic plants they work well too.
__________________
Dubs1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman24 View Post

I put a fake leaf in the net from a fake rose. It's floating.. So hopefully that helps
Put a couple in there, so it layers an has better cover
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oohitsae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 1,600
Plastic or live plants, Plastic ribbon (the kind for gifts), or yarn that isn't dyed, will all work as cover for the fry.

I try to cover about 80% of a breeder net with plants, leaving the momma enough room to swim but plenty of cover for fry. I tend to use java moss and cabomba but that seems like it isn't an option.

Can't really tell if the momma is ready yet, it's gotta be a sideview. If the bottom of her belly looks more rectangular/square than round that means it'll be any day now, if she stays hidden near the heater it means she is even closer
__________________
Oohitsae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Sidman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohitsae View Post
Plastic or live plants, Plastic ribbon (the kind for gifts), or yarn that isn't dyed, will all work as cover for the fry.

I try to cover about 80% of a breeder net with plants, leaving the momma enough room to swim but plenty of cover for fry. I tend to use java moss and cabomba but that seems like it isn't an option.

Can't really tell if the momma is ready yet, it's gotta be a sideview. If the bottom of her belly looks more rectangular/square than round that means it'll be any day now, if she stays hidden near the heater it means she is even closer
Here are some better pictures. I let her out of the net for now because I don't want to stress her and have her abort
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3163866736.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	193602   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2581386537.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	193603  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4215752201.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	193604  
__________________
Sidman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Sidman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 752
I put strands of ribbon like this on the top. Will that work ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4016366578.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	193607  
__________________
Sidman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oohitsae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 1,600
She looks like she's still got a few more days. her belly is boxed a bit in the front but not dropped and boxed enough on the back.

And you actually want the ribbon laying in the water. curling it up would be a good idea too. Something that the fry can hide in/around rather than under
__________________
Oohitsae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Sidman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohitsae View Post
She looks like she's still got a few more days. her belly is boxed a bit in the front but not dropped and boxed enough on the back.

And you actually want the ribbon laying in the water. curling it up would be a good idea too. Something that the fry can hide in/around rather than under
Okay she still hasn't popped! But she hasn't been eating and lays on the bottom of the net.. Is she close ?? I have her in the breeding net now. She doesn't seem to mind it
__________________

__________________
Sidman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×