Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help identifying eggs please.

Hi, I'm new to the forum so please forgive any etiquette errors.
This afternoon, I discovered some eggs in my aquarium and I would appreciate help in identifying the culprit. Current occupants are:
1xZebra Danio
1xLongfin Zebra Danio
1xGolden Danio
2x White Cloud Mountain Minnows
1xUnknown Snail
1xCommon Goldfish
Also, added only yesterday, are two Spiral Horned Snails and two Hillstream Loaches.

As you can hopefully see in the images, the eggs were laid on the underside of a 'bridge' made of stones. They seem relatively well sheltered from the Goldfish but the loaches always snoop around that area and one snail has taken residence on an adjacent stone. Also, I noticed the Golden Danio being unusually inactive and spending time around that area yesterday (I thought it was after the new loaches). I don't know the gender of any of the fish. So I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with...
- Who likely laid the eggs?
- Are they likely to be fertilized?
- Should I remove the stone and eggs? I don't have a breeder tank. All I have available is a 19 Litre tank which is currently empty.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2513.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	243808   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2531.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	243809  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2533.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	243810  

Old 07-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Skype™ to Istrom
Snail eggs. There isn't a single type of fish that lays eggs with gel around them. Probably the ram snails, or the other snail. If you want a bunch of snails then go for it and keep the eggs in there. Fish won't eat snail eggs normally, or the snails themselves.

-Istrom
Istrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, they are fertilized. Snails can hold eggs for ages until they're ready to be laid. They wouldn't let them out if they weren't fertilized.

-Istrom
Old 07-21-2014, 03:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for your help. I think I'll try and seperate them and see how they get on. I don't fancy being overrun with snails, but I do like to have a few in there to help control algae. I've read that they can take a couple of weeks to hatch, is that right? If I put them in a seperate tank, would they need anything else in there with them, such as a food source, and do they need any other care or will nature take it's course?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im not sure how fast they hatch, but they are very hardy, so theyll do good without food or anything. If you really want you could put crushed algae pellets in their container.

-Istrom
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep snails

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Those are definitely snail eggs.

So you know, the Danios can interbreed, but their eggs will sink down to the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's a bit self explanatory lol. The Longfin variant of any type of fish is just the same as the regular version. It's like how some people have blonde hair and some people have brown hair.

-Istrom

Tags
egg, eggs, identify, identifying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com