Help! Is my Glofish going to lay eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsey577

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I have 3 Glofish and one of them has been getting fat. I think I've seen them breeding, but I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me if she looks like she's gonna lay eggs? And if so what do I do?! I have an empty tank to separate her if I need to. Sorry for the bad picture, but these little guys don't sit still! (by the way, I'm talking about the orange one!) Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• image-3893022758.jpg
    image-3893022758.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 313
Oh, forgot to add: The orange one is a little smaller than the other two so I'm assuming it's female. Shes just bigger than the other two in her stomach =P thanks everyone!

They may be spawning but I doubt it in such a small, overstocked tank
They and the Cory really need six friends and a 20 gal long tank
Maybe then you'll see some spawning
However they will most likely eat the eggs or fry
Also know that it is illegal to breed and sell glofish due to the fact they are patented
You must keep any resulting fish for even giving them away is against the law

emerald76 said:
They may be spawning but I doubt it in such a small, overstocked tank
They and the Cory really need six friends and a 20 gal long tank
Maybe then you'll see some spawning
However they will most likely eat the eggs or fry
Also know that it is illegal to breed and sell glofish due to the fact they are patented
You must keep any resulting fish for even giving them away is against the law

According to their website it is legal to breed them for educational purposes and for personal purposes only. You can't sell or barter(trade)them. It says nothing about giving them away. Putting a patent and trademark on a fish is ridiculous. Might as well do that with a mule or turkey.

Well she doesn't look fat anymore... Maybe it's just my imagination... You guys tell me. I also moved them all to a 10 gallon tank, so hopefully that will be better for them. Sorry for how bad the picture is =/

Attachments

• image-2499224952.jpg
    image-2499224952.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 228
mLindsey97 said:
Well she doesn't look fat anymore... Maybe it's just my imagination... You guys tell me. I also moved them all to a 10 gallon tank, so hopefully that will be better for them. Sorry for how bad the picture is =/

She looks normal now
Good for you, moving them to the ten! Better than a 3.5 by far
You only need a few more gallons and then they'll be good!

Ok thanks! And the 10 gallon isn't big enough for them? They seem like they have plenty of room...

mLindsey97 said:
Ok thanks! And the 10 gallon isn't big enough for them? They seem like they have plenty of room...

Danios love horizontal swimming room. That's why a 20 long was recommended.

mLindsey97 said:

They are actually pretty active little fish- they are jut colorful zebra danios which need a 20 gal long tank because they are so active-glofish are no different
Also you have a goldfish in the tank which needs a different 20 gallon tank as goldfish are coldwater and glofish, cories, and the other tank inhabitants are tropical and require higher tempatures
Goldfish also live longer in the correct temp of 68-72 degrees

Ok, thanks for letting me know. And don't worry, I know better than to have a goldfish in there with them. I sold the goldfish, because I didn't know that they would get so big. I must admit I did not do any research on the fish before I got it. That won't be happening again.

Forgot to add, I'm not sure what to do about a tank. I don't have the money right now to go buy a 20 gallon. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom