Help me!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Myiafaith1993

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My guppy is extremely pregnant and she just started breathing really heavy and it looks like her belly has filled up does that mean she's in labor???

I just picked these guys up from a guy leaving the island and one looks like shes ready to pop. Its painful to look at her

ForumRunner_20130210_213752.jpg

Any tips to help here would be great. First time dealing with a fish thats prego

What's the best way to tell if a female guppy prego. Never had guppys before so I don't know.
She'll get a very dark gravity around her bottom. She obviously get quite big. Once there's a male, she'll have fry every month.. Even if she just has an encounter with a male, she can store sperm and have 4-6 batches from it.. She'll get 'square' around the belly when she's nearly there...

Yeah, the pointy bit(i can't think of the proper name for it), the females have a smaller tail fin with very little colour. He'll be good for breeding...

I don't know if I'd actively breed with this male...from the photos he looks like he has a deformity. That severely crooked spine is not normal for guppies, and efforts to prevent breeding from this particular guppy should be prevented

I don't know if I'd actively breed with this male...from the photos he looks like he has a deformity. That severely crooked spine is not normal for guppies, and efforts to prevent breeding from this particular guppy should be prevented

How would i do that?

Let me help clear up a few things here;

They usually give birth late at night/early morning....

Guppies will give birth at any time during the day, it makes no difference to them what time of day it is. The reason why they often give birth at night is because the lights are off in the tank which creates a stress free environment.

is this one better

Both Guppies in this picture are female.

Yeah, the pointy bit(i can't think of the proper name for it), the females have a smaller tail fin with very little colour. He'll be good for breeding...

This is called a gonopodium.
Females don't always have smaller duller fins. I've had females just as bright as males.

Even if she just has an encounter with a male, she can store sperm and have 4-6 batches from it..

Females can store sperm and inseminate themselves up to three times every 28 days following conception. (these numbers seem to go up every time I hear this for some reason)

That severely crooked spine is not normal for guppies, and efforts to prevent breeding from this particular guppy should be prevented

This is true, the probability of the fry produced from this fish is high that you will come out with deformities and/or low birth rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086
They usually give birth late at night/early morning....

Guppies will give birth at any time during the day, it makes no difference to them what time of day it is. The reason why they often give birth at night is because the lights are off in the tank which creates a stress free environment.

That's why i said 'usually' and not 'always'.... 'Usually' and 'Often' are very similar meaning words!!!!

Back
Top Bottom