help me please.. :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparkles12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read Platys will not eat their young, is that true? I'd like to keep some baby fish, but not all of them. I used to have guppies but they always died cause of the ammonia.. I dunno, i'm kinda' skimpy on having guppies again.. :-? Also, could I have some bottom dwellers in a ten gal.? (the tank would have 5 neons and a pair of platys) Ghost shrimp eat fry from what I remember. Maybe I could work something out...? Any suggestions?

No, they will eat some of them IME. :) The ones that hide well won't get eaten.

Ghost shrimp may eat fry but would probably be the smallest and best option....Cories will eat fry if they feel like it and can catch them. Also, most Cories are a tad too big for a 10g.

Cause of the ammonia? meaning that they died from being placed into a tank that wasn't cycled?
the pet store stock of guppies in my area is aweful stock, they are seriously overbred and fragil.
I went with an online supplier and got a great home stock!
In a 100 gallon I think that i personally would go for 6 or 7 neons and ghost shrimp adn call it good
OR
1 male 2 female platies (since you want babies) and ghost shrimp..
If you do decide to do cories - pygmys please!

Also as a general rule, a fish will eat anything that fits into its mouth, so all fish that can fit fry in there mouth will try to eat them if they can catch them.. they are oppertunist eaters

Well, since I'm not a fan of keep and breeding all those babies, I'm not really going to keep them (my neons will actually chase and eat them) and the ghost shrimp also enjoy them too. If I want to try my hand at them, I'd use my 5 gallon to raise them.Yes, I did not know what cycling a tank was... so all my money went down the drain everytime I bought a fish. =P Right now my 5 gal. has 5 neons. So far so good :)

If you want to have cories in your tank, I find the pygmy varieties a delight. I have all 3 types, the habrosus, hastatus and pygmaeus in different tanks and I just love them. The habrosus are my favorites of the 3 types. Here is a picture of one of my corydoras habrosus. The gravel in the picture is actually a course sand.
img_922393_0_6f281abff90ad7e078e451960d6a19bd.jpg

and a picture of some hastatus over some fine sand
img_922393_1_1f83b3fbacfc22511afc3bf75c55df06.jpg

omgosh they're so cute!!!! wow, they are small. they eat fry, right? gosh, I really hope they have them at my Lfs... now I know why people are always saying that cories are awesome :)

I have them in all of my livebearer tanks and don't worry about them eating fry at all. If they do, it's not near as many as the parents eat. I even use the habrosus as a cleanup crew in my 29 gallon fry tank because I have never seen them eat a fry that was alive. They are a cleanup crew and do not shy away from eating the occasional casualty in the tank. They swim with my endlers and don't bother the fry and they even swim freely with my heterandria formosa and cause them no damage. In case you don't know that species, it is among the smallest fish in existence at about 3/4 inch when full grown.

wow, that is small. sounds like a good option for my tank. the ghost shrimps that I've had in the past have always snatched the fry :(. but if the corys are peaceful, I'm definately looking into keeping them! :D

Back
Top Bottom