Help me with pregnant rosy barb please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muchcha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! I have 8 rosy barbs.. I bought 4 at once and 4 later.. One is pregnant and I got it when it was pregnant itself.. Will it breed with another male now? I have 3 female and 5 male.. Please help me with this.. I put the pregnant one in the main tank with the other Rosy barbs with three big fake plants.. Is it ok? I managed to take few pictures of the pregnant one.. It's still yellow (not pink).. I put it to find its new mate maybe.. Will it work? Sorry if u can't see the picture properly because it was very hard..

image-2257331968.jpg

image-2442931488.jpg

image-2539450210.jpg

Attachments

• image-107680268.jpg
    image-107680268.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image-2783502144.jpg
    image-2783502144.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image-1793172642.jpg
    image-1793172642.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1477589552.jpg
    image-1477589552.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 184
  • image-2076769116.jpg
    image-2076769116.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image-3487619860.jpg
    image-3487619860.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 117
  • image-446300232.jpg
    image-446300232.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3266527750.jpg
    image-3266527750.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2965446758.jpg
    image-2965446758.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 94
Can u guys see the pregnant one? Yellow fat one.. Please reply if someone knows about this.. Will she find a new mate?

I know a lot about cherry barbs but not much about rosy barbs! I'm sorry:(

Hey guys! I have 8 rosy barbs.. I bought 4 at once and 4 later.. One is pregnant and I got it when it was pregnant itself.. Will it breed with another male now? I have 3 female and 5 male.. Please help me with this.. I put the pregnant one in the main tank with the other Rosy barbs with three big fake plants.. Is it ok? I managed to take few pictures of the pregnant one.. It's still yellow (not pink).. I put it to find its new mate maybe.. Will it work? Sorry if u can't see the picture properly because it was very hard..

As stated before, only livebearing fish (i.e. Guppies, Platies, Mollies, Swordtails, etc.) can be pregnant. Egg laying fish, like rosey barbs, are considered gravid when holding eggs.
That all being said, rosey barbs will breed in a community tank environment if the conditions are correct for spawning. HOWEVER (there's always a but, isn't there?... :D) Rosey barbs will also eat their own eggs if they are not protected from the parents or the other fish in the tank. They can also just carry the eggs an entire lifetime and not spawn so no harm is done to the fish by her not spawning with a mate.
If you are looking to raise the fry, PM me and I can give you a template I used for breeding many types of barbs. It requires more than one tank however and will not work if only one tank is used.

Hope this helps (y)

When I got the fish it was pregnant.. It's stomach is fat and can see that it's pregnant.. Did u see the picture? Will it mate with another rosy barb now? A new partner?

When I got the fish it was pregnant.. It's stomach is fat and can see that it's pregnant.. Did u see the picture? Will it mate with another rosy barb now? A new partner?

Yes, I saw the picture but I think you missed my comment regarding the terminology.;) Rosey barbs, no matter how full of eggs, are not, and can never be, considered "pregnant." In order for something to be pregnant, it needs to be incubating a live young within it's own body. The "mate" had to already have been there. What happened, in reality, was you got a fish that was laden with eggs. That's all. It's only half the equation. ;)

So to address your question and probable followup questions...
Will she mate? Maybe. If the chemistry and environment within your tank are the right parameters for mating. There are no guarantees. Will the fry survive if she does mate? Probably not. As I explained in my last post, Barbs are known for eating their own eggs after the spawn. Does it happen and eggs survive? Yes. It happens every once in a while. But let me ask you this: If you have 1 fry survive out of a spawn of , say, 200 eggs, would you consider that a success? If you do, keep doing what you are doing and we'll all cross our fingers for your success (y)
Me personally, I want at least 100 fry to survive in order for me to call a spawning a success. But we are all different. ;)

Hope this better explains things (y)

I think you missed my comment regarding the terminology.;) Rosey barbs, no matter how full of eggs, are not, and can never be, considered pregnant. In order for something to be pregnant, it needs to be incubating a live young within it's own body. The "mate" had to already have been there. What happened, in reality, was you got a fish that was laden with eggs. That's all. ;)

So to address your question and probable followup questions...
Will she mate? Maybe. If the chemistry and environment within your tank are the right parameters for mating. There are no guarantees. Will the fry survive if she does mate? Probably not. As I explained in my last post, Barbs are known for eating their own eggs after the spawn. Does it happen and eggs survive? Yes. It happens every once in a while. But let me ask you this: If you have 1 fry survive out of a spawn of , say, 200 eggs, would you consider that a success? If you do, keep doing what you are doing and we'll all cross our fingers for your success (y)
Me personally, I want at least 100 fry to survive in order for me to call a spawning a success. But we are all different. ;)

Hope this better explains things (y)

Thanks a lot! Now I got ur point.. I hope more than 1 survives :p I have another tank to breed that one.. A 2-3 gallon tank with some plants.. So luckily if it mates I can make at least 70+ survive :) if it survives ill let u know ;)

Hey! I got a new tank and i put two plants and some marbles and rocks to that.. And I put the pregnant one and another big,bright and healthy male.. Now they are in that new 10-15 gallon tank.. The male is chasing the female all of a sudden around the tank and he gives smalls pecks to the body and face of the female.. When he sees the female he kinda chases her and she also swims fast.. Is this couple ok? Or should I change the male? And how can I know that the female is going to lay eggs in a while or the next day? Any signs? And please tell me your email address.. Because cant send lots of messages in the aquarium application/site..

Thanks a lot! Now I got ur point.. I hope more than 1 survives :p I have another tank to breed that one.. A 2-3 gallon tank with some plants.. So if luckily if it mates I can make at least 70+ survive :) if it survives ill let u know ;)

If I can suggest, up the tank to a 10 or 15 gal tank. 2-3 gals is too small for Rosey Barbs to spawn in (y)

Good luck with them (y)

Back
Top Bottom