Help... Molly stuck in labor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bitezombiesback

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a first time aquarium owner. My molly, who did not look pregnant at all to me, had three fry on Tuesday night -- perhaps a few more had already been eaten before I found them. I read that it is less stressful to the mother if she is not placed in a breeding tank, so I left her alone and continued feeding her as normal. However, I only found two more fry after keeping a close eye on the tank, and I could tell she was still in labor because she had a few little red lines (her babies' tails) sticking out of her belly. I put her in the breeding tank so I could keep an eye on her, but there has been no change; no more babies, but she still has tails protruding from her body. Tonight is Saturday. She has been in labor for four days. Is there something wrong with her? I read online that mollies only take a few hours to deliver all their young, but I don't know how to help her.

are you sure they are tails? I would never suggest this but perhaps you could tug out one of the babies with twzeers or your fingers? I have heard of mollies mothers dying of babies becoming stuck in the exit. I know people will most likely have a fit because I said this, but three babies aren't going to come out of a hole meant for one. :rolleyes:

I had a pregnant Molly with the same tails sticking out of her. I didn't know what to do and she eventually died:((. Post on what you decide to do and let us know. Good luck

I almost tried the tweezers, but she sucked the tails in instantly once she was in the net. I gently squeezed her sides, but nothing happened. She seemed fine otherwise, so I decided messing with her would do more harm than help, but sometime last week she lost her appetite and wasn't as active as normal. The next day she was dead. I have no advice for anyone else in this situation, except not to try the squeezing or the tweezers. Holding fish can damage their scales and fins since the natural oils on our skin are bad for them, and it didn't help in any way. Ultimately, I'm not even positive about why she died, but a blocked birth canal is my best guess. Thanks for the help, hopefully this is a rare problem...

Bitezombiesback said:
I almost tried the tweezers, but she sucked the tails in instantly once she was in the net. I gently squeezed her sides, but nothing happened. She seemed fine otherwise, so I decided messing with her would do more harm than help, but sometime last week she lost her appetite and wasn't as active as normal. The next day she was dead. I have no advice for anyone else in this situation, except not to try the squeezing or the tweezers. Holding fish can damage their scales and fins since the natural oils on our skin are bad for them, and it didn't help in any way. Ultimately, I'm not even positive about why she died, but a blocked birth canal is my best guess. Thanks for the help, hopefully this is a rare problem...

Try brine shrimp live if can, but frozen still should work.

It's a little too late considering she has been dead for several days, but thanks for the advice...

Back
Top Bottom