help no filter, what can i do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d1anonly22

Aquarium Advice Freak
i had to put my jack dempsey fry in a non-cycled tank that has no filter, its a ten gallon and right now the fry are only the size of ants and doing fine in there, but i know its going to go bad with no filter so what can i do, im broke right now and cant get a filter. my old roommate took the tank they were in so i had no choice but to fill up an old ten gallon and put the fry in.:confused:

all of that. Sorry I thought you were only talking about what to do about the lack of filtration.

If you have another tank, take some of the used filter pad. Ball it up and drop it in there. That will help with the amm/nitrite/nitrate process

anything else i can do, i was told to put an air stone in, and i did. i have a heater in it will that effect anything?

ok....

keep the heater set to around 78F or 25C

Keep doing 4-5 25% water changes daily until you can afford a filter

i would recomend, soon as you have money go out and bye a cheap one
( if not enuf money for a expensive one)

But i must warn you DO NOT stay with a cheap filter.

Could you post some pics of the fry so i can see what size the fry are. So i can be more help... i have had a LOT of experince with cichlid fry!

Edit: also do what captain said. i didnt think you had another tank.

they are the size of red ants. i have to have my fiance upload the pics im no good at it, so if you can keep checking up i would appreciate it a lot, thanks.

Do you have a small pump sitting around?

Water fountain pump for example...

What you want is an air-driven sponge filter so they don't get sucked up.

If you could get a piece of a working filter, as noted, instead of balling it up on the bottom try to attach it to the airline just above the airstone, so it will have the maximum water movement past it. Depending how many fry we're talking about, that might actually be adequate.

If you already have an air pump, then all you need is a super-cheapo sponge filter and hook it up, and just let it cycle and do 20% PWC daily. I had 20 guppy fry born in mid cycle, then 28 molly fry born as the cycle was almost done, and I just added a bunch of hornwort to absorb the nitrItes and nitrAtes (which helped immensely) and a big snail to clean up the excess food (i was feeding 3-4 times/day, and overfeeding to make sure all ate enough). Did fine.

FYI my sponge filter ran like $12

Back
Top Bottom